Today’s little project

JSabah

10 hours ago, lwebb said:

Man that's impressive. and timely! I was just starting the exact same process. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. What paint did you use?

best advice I can give is take your time and make sure that the piece is as clean of old paint as possible..... I ended up doing it twice not realizing this. I was luky that I mainly only had the red to do. I used a Dremel on the slowest speed with a nylon brush. It got most of the paint off but not all. Be careful not to go too fast as even the nylon brush will file/melt down the ridges. I also used a watch siezed flathead as a scraper between the ridges. Holding it up to the light reveled that it still needed more work so I carefully used a little acetone on a paper towel and my fingernail to get the rest off. Acetone melts plastic so Very little and let it evaporate before hitting it a second time. Hold it up to a light and when you think it is clean enough you are ready for paint. I used my air brush as it seemed to be a little more even (I tried with a regular brush first). I only had a transparent red so I used that but I would have tried an opaque paint if I had it).  I also had damaged the “gold” color a bit having thought that masking would be good (really not necessary to mask if you just have the one color) and did a couple of repairs with yellow ochra detail color. After it was well dried I sealed it with a brown rattle can paint. I used brown because of the transparent red used (just thinking black was too dark) and the gold repairs. 

good luck. Post pictures of your results 

Edited by JSabah

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, I've been out of pocket with Vertigo. The trailer is a Wally Byam Holiday. It was a prototype made by airstream for about 6 months 1954-55. They never put it in production but used the same floor plan for the Airstream Bubble later in 55 which had the same airplane shape as other Airstream models.  

The Plymouth has a 5.7 Hemi Magnum with Mustang rear and front and rear sway bars.

HolidayFernandina copy.jpg

holiday-intreartopFSMcopy 2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1