55 Cadillac 2 door HT

casper50

Be careful,

your wife may just decide that the Caddie will make her a better car. After all it is bigger. heavier and has  a huge trunk. Even big enough for a moose?

You can drive the Pontiac if you like.

DJ

If it wouldn't have taken much to make it a daily driver I would have bought it.  Front floor pans need replaced, far back of trunk where it meets the taillight valence, both rockers, small area left rear fender near the bumper, most of the lower right side quarter panel, bottom of right door and bottom rear of right front fender.  Not all that much really but more than I want to mess with and deal with everything else on that large of a car.  Outside chrome wasn't bad at all, grill needs a bit of straightening. everything was there that I could see.  Headliner had some large tears. Engine turns but the ignition was frozen so I couldn't try and start it.  Needs some Kroil oil.

Judging from the photos you have posted on past and present projects you've tackled, I'm kinda thinking once started you would be taking this car well beyond just making it a daily driver.  This model Cadillac would be an expensive car to restore properly and if a full restoration was completed, it would be difficult to recover a decent percentage of money spent should it become necessary to sell the car at some time in the future. While it's sad to see some vehicles left to deteriorate, sometimes even if the car is available free of charge,the restoration project would not be not worth undertaking...jmho

I myself don't care about resale profits if any  on my cars if I was to sell.

I'll spend what it takes to get the work done. Restoring cars for profit is tough now days more than ever.

• Like 1

I agree. I was thinking of this particular model of Cadillac and while it could be restored , it is not a car I personally care for...but that is just me. I've never made a nickel on this hobby and  I don't expect to realize any change in the future. lol

• Like 1

18 hours ago, casper50 said:

I passed on the Caddy today.  Just too big of a car to have sitting around waiting in line.  Had less rust that I was expecting but a bit more than I hoped.

Is the owner negotiable on price. Sometimes that can make a car more enticing. I'm sure you could find room for it somewhere. That is too nice a car to be left to slowly die of neglect.

He says it runs and is rebuilt.  He owns a garage business.  I asked him to get it running so that I could hear it.  He replied that the price then goes to $5000.  He was a bit shocked when I told him that I'd pass.

1 hour ago, casper50 said:

He says it runs and is rebuilt.  He owns a garage business.  I asked him to get it running so that I could hear it.  He replied that the price then goes to $5000.  He was a bit shocked when I told him that I'd pass.

I would keep bargaining with him as it sounds like he expected to sell it. Not sure why the price would go up if he got it running as he says it will. The chrome is nice on that car and would save the price of rechroming which would be well over $5000. It has a lot of potential and you have the skills to keep it from the old car graveyard!

all ya need is a gas can with a hose connected to the carb, prove it runs. without the rods knocking on the oil pan.

Otherwise the standard assumption of any buyer is it is a core engine for a rebuild.

If they refuse to toss a battery in it and fire it up, it is just a core engine and may be a bad crank or something they wish to hide.

Pretty sure there is a huge following of users on these old Cadillac, While we all have our likes and dislikes, some cars have better after market support then others.

Some cars have better resale car then others .... I bet this Cadilac has better support and resale then most any mopar of the same year.

Just saying, if the buyer is claiming a rebuilt engine/running engine, will not take much to prove it. I imagine it would take most of $5k to rebuild that engine.

Around here $20,000 would rechrome that car or most of it. Upholstery another 10-$15,000...

On and on it goes...high end complicated cars are expensive to restore. They sure are cool though.

I just paid to have my 55 Pontiac wagon reupholstered and the grand total was less than $3000.  That's in all vinyl.  Seats, carpet, headliner, door panels, kick panels, custom made OEM matching linoleum for the cargo area, and inside rear wheel wells are covered as well. The caddy is in vinyl and cloth.  Mostly cloth.

I've worked on several Chrysler mid 50's thru early 60's Imperial and 300 cars.

Frame off resto's.

Absolutely amazing on some of the costs involved for a very high quality correct restoration. DIY way cheaper.