Ward Tractor

Yesterday I picked up an addition to the farm - an 1948ish (still somewhat unsure on exact year) Ward Tractor sold through the Montgomery Ward mail order catalog. These tractors were built by the Custom Manufacturing Corporation and marketed under a long list of names, but were more or less all identical. These tractors were build using mostly military surplus parts and depending on the exact options and manufacturing location, they were more or less Dodge trucks with big rear tires.

IMG_20191013_113626.jpg.abbc7285a0f3ccbd28b99dc5b0d09e9d.jpg

The Ward tractor now under my care has a little less in common with the typical Dodge truck as the rear axle is very different. It utilizes a Timken rear axle with outboard planetaries - there were some versions that did use actual truck axles with a 2:1? gearbox between the transmission and the rear axle.

This particular tractor has a 230ci 6A engine, with a fluid drive clutch assembly, a 5 speed New Process transmission. On the right side of the transmission is an auxilary PTO assembly that runs a 540 PTO shaft to the back of the tractor to power implements as well as the belt pulley on the side. There is also a PTO hookup to run a PTO shaft forward if desired (not sure if it was ever used like that). It has the before mentioned Timken rear axle with planetaries and utilized hydraulic drum brakes for the rear wheels.

The dual exhaust was a factory option from Custom and this tractor is basically stock when it comes to the exhaust.

IMG_20191013_113633.jpg.57261a9b75441314ae16b008c5c3c783.jpg

This tractor is also converted to LP at some point in its life. I have a large LP tank and misc parts that were originally on the tractor, but now it currently runs off a 20lb LP tank stuffed up under the hood to reduce the weight and make it into an antique pulling tractor. (also notice all the extra weights and it has wheelie bars on the back).

IMG_20191013_113712.jpg.1dab458faddbae29e450cbe309ec1138.jpg

These tractors were governed pretty low from the factory (2100rpmish I think) - and consequently they were pretty low on power because of that. I think this tractor is about a 48hp unit as it was shipped from the factory.

My plans are to restore the tractor to like new condition - eventually - for right now, I'm just going to clean it up and make it presentable. It needs a good bath, a wax, some wiring cleaned up, some paint on the pulling parts, a little TLC to the LP setup, and it should be good to go.  I should note - it sounds damn good under a little load - and I think its going to fly in road gear based on the very little bit I have drive the tractor. I've been hesitant to take it out and open it up as I don't think there is much propane in that little cylinder and I know how much my LP Deere drinks under load.... that grill cylinder isn't going to get me far.

Anyway - I hope everyone enjoys something a little different, but mostly on topic. If anyone has any experience on these engines running on LP - I'd like to pick their brains on vaporizers and LP carbs.

• Like 8