mirrors

captden29

I went to the trouble of taking pictures of 2 swan neck mirrors that a fellow member might want. I posted on the regular forum as that is where his post was asking about mirrors. I should have put this on the classified but it was not really something I was trying to sell. I did ask a price but a very cheap one to help him out and get them out of my garage. I was just trying to locate him an the site, but I was deleted. I will not try to help out again.i just needed to know who he was.  lesson learned.   capt den

• Like 1

yup that was my post i still can't figure out why they deleted the post i wasn't asking to buy or sell ,just some info.  well i still like to know whats the big deal about asking for advice on exterior  mirrors ,people are on here all the time asking for advice,

• Like 1

Well my 48 original mirror was rectangular it had a red reflector on the back of it. couldn't find any similar.

I now have two chrome clip on  mirrors  ,it took a while to get the mirrors adjusted properly but I am happy with them.

DSC00383.jpg

On my 47 Plymouth, I just found a used door mount mirror I liked at a swap meet.  Not exactly an original looking

mirror, but it suits me.  I wanted one that stands out from the side of the car far enough to see around the "bulge"

in the body.  Only wanted one mirror, not a pair. There are many options for mirrors. 

Edited by BobT-47P15

I made this mirror from the top of an old mirror I had and some 3/8th round steel rod, welded it together & had it chromed and its worked for the past 40 years.......andyd  

IMG_1373.JPG

Most folks use clip on door edge mirrors that attach with set screws.  But most have arms that are too short to be seen when mounted on the passenger side.  Seems like you need six inch as opposed to the four inch most commonly available.

7 hours ago, greg g said:

Most folks use clip on door edge mirrors that attach with set screws.  But most have arms that are too short to be seen when mounted on the passenger side.  Seems like you need six inch as opposed to the four inch most commonly available.

I fitted a 4" stick-on convex mirror on the passenger side, to increase the viewing angle.
There's a huge blind spot in the convertible when the top's up (which is most of the time in the UK!) and, to make it harder, we drive on the 'wrong' side, so a good view in the passenger side mirror is essential!

13 hours ago, neil and ethan said:

that looks ok ,  like your position , looks better than high  I think,

do you have a passenger one too.

At the time of the photo, there was only a driver's side. I do not think that I had one on the passenger side, because as others have posted, this style of mirror mounted at that position is hard to use.  My driving was limited, so this mirror along with a swapped out interior mirror worked well for my needs. Did not see a need to add the other mirror just to balance out the look. I did not prefer the high mounting. Functional up high on both sides, but just looked out of place to me.

The interior mirror swap from a later Dodge.

Do not have a photo of the view with the stock mirror, but the replacement gave me a nice field of view out the back window.

2007_1021Image0003.JPG.2bb9e5d3598be0dfb9da9b2206ef3b92.JPGmirrors.JPG.db3a2296d24233c343ba1457375fa08f.JPG

Edited by _shel_ny
reposition text

I'd like to find the trim mounted mirrors for my 48.  I saw them on a Hemmings featured car once.  Been looking, but come up short.  Long term goal anyways.

1 hour ago, mlozier76 said:

I'd like to find the trim mounted mirrors for my 48.  I saw them on a Hemmings featured car once.  Been looking, but come up short.  Long term goal anyways.

get your piggy bank and start emptying you wallet into it...spare change just not going to cut it.....you may wish to BOLO for spare cowl trim and make your own setup with later swan necks and a hidden plinth.  

Those swan neck mirrors  are $1700.00...very nice repro's... 

I installed a set for.a customer on his 1948 NewYorker 3 pass cpe.

But that's the price for two!?