1947 Chrysler Coupe door removal?

ebruns1

Hey Fellas,

Finally getting ready to lift body off of frame.  Currently the doors fit really nice with an even gap all the way around and they shut pretty well.  I would like to lighten up the weight for lifting but those monster big doors kind of scare me!  I've removed and replaced pickup truck doors before but nothing like these coupe doors.  How heavy and difficult are they to reinstall?  Is it a royal PIA to get them to line up again?  I don['t want to create a headache if I don't have to, but the passenger rocker really needs to be replaced and I guess having the door off would give better access.  What have you guys done?  Thanks for any advice!

JT

IF working the rocker....there is a very good chance of metal shrinkage while welding...personally I have found on the many cars I have done that leaving the doors in place works best.   This will allow you to use the door as the ultimate gauge to check fit and alignment as you do the repair.   I have seen way too many door off rocker work that has resulted in doors being way off and the opening nowhere near close for proper gaps...but then, remember, this is just my preference.

If you are going to remove the door(s) make a tracing (pen/pencil/marker...etc) around the perimeter of each hinge, both on the door(s) and where they attach to the body.

This way when you replace the door(s) you can line the hinges up with the tracings. This will put the hinges back in their original position(s).

Also, when removing the door(s) pay attention as to whether or not any shims are used behind the hinges. These would need to be used again for proper fitment/alignment.

If you are planning to paint it, doors have to come off anyways. Drill 3 1/8" holes in both upper and lower hinges into the doors in the shape of a triangle. Take some 1/8" inch rod and push it through both the hinge and door so it sits flush with the hinge. Weld it at the hinge and grind it smooth, now you have locating pins for when you are ready for reassembly. Make sure you are happy with the gap before doing this.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 8:02 PM, allbizz49 said:

If you are planning to paint it, doors have to come off anyways. Drill 3 1/8" holes in both upper and lower hinges into the doors in the shape of a triangle. Take some 1/8" inch rod and push it through both the hinge and door so it sits flush with the hinge. Weld it at the hinge and grind it smooth, now you have locating pins for when you are ready for reassembly. Make sure you are happy with the gap before doing this.

I did this trick after working in the press shop at International Harvester , a lot heavy sheet steel. BUT I only used ONE ON UPPER AND ONE in the BOTTOM  hinge.