Water in oil (condensation) in my 251 engine

If you don’t have a thermostat installed then there is no need for a bypass circuit. However, operating without a thermostat isn’t good for your engine. It’ll take longer to get to operating temperature and may not cool as efficiently as it should when it does get hot. 

Here’s another thread regarding this bypass circuit and water pumps. 

If you don’t have a thermostat installed then there is no need for a bypass circuit. However, operating without a thermostat isn’t good for your engine. It’ll take longer to get to operating temperature and may not cool as efficiently as it should when it does get hot. 

Merle.I can clog the hole again with a piece of rubber.

DSCN6171.JPG

Don’t plug the port. I would recommend checking the water pump to see if it’s open behind where that port would connect, and if it is drill a hole in the backing plate to connect the bypass back into the water pump. Or replace it with a proper pump. AND, install a proper thermostat to get your cooling system working as designed. 

3 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

Don’t plug the port. I would recommend checking the water pump to see if it’s open behind where that port would connect, and if it is drill a hole in the backing plate to connect the bypass back into the water pump. Or replace it with a proper pump. AND, install a proper thermostat to get your cooling system working as designed. 

Merle.I sent pic yesterday showing that my water pump is not open behind the backing plate.No hole drilled in the backing plate.

DSCN6164.JPG

On 11/2/2019 at 1:40 PM, Fernando Mendes said:

Today I withdrew the water pump to see if exist communication with the bypass hole on the block but not exist.See the pics.The hole that not exist in the water pump would be in the point of the red pen.

DSCN6162.JPG

DSCN6163.JPG

See the point of the red pen cap.

We assembled the engine yesterday.It already functioned.It had a little leak in the left side of the gasket.We retorqued to 100 foot pounds and it stopped to leak.We put NGK B-4 hot spark plugs.Is it better than NGK B-6 cold spark plugs?

Just now, Jeff Balazs said:

I run BR6S plugs in mine. They are the correct heat range for these motors. I definitely would not run anything hotter based on my plug readings.

Jeff

Jeff I always run too with NGKB6S although noticed more black its eletrodo.Now when I was buy the head gasket the seller recommended to me and show a book that says CHYRSLER 1950-56.......B-4

I run BR6S plugs in mine. They are the correct heat range for these motors. I definitely would not run anything hotter based on my plug readings.

Jeff

Can this be the motive that is causing the leaks?

Fernando;

It is possible that your engine is running too rich a fuel mixture....and that is why the plugs are black. There may be other causes as well. NGK has a good catalog that shows exactly how to read your plugs. Running the correct heat range of plug is important. Running too hot of a plug can cause your engine to run too high a temperature and can cause other damage. Running too cold a plug generally results in a poor running engine and foule plugs.

I tried several different plugs in mine. The BR6S run at a nice even light tan color without too much fuel deposits on the electrode. That is what I wanted to see.

Hope this helps, Jeff

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jeff Balazs said:

Fernando;

It is possible that your engine is running too rich a fuel mixture....and that is why the plugs are black. There may be other causes as well. NGK has a good catalog that shows exactly how to read your plugs. Running the correct heat range of plug is important. Running too hot of a plug can cause your engine to run too high a temperature and can cause other damage. Running too cold a plug generally results in a poor running engine and foule plugs.

I tried several different plugs in mine. The BR6S run at a nice even light tan color without too much fuel deposits on the electrode. That is what I wanted to see.

Hope this helps, Jeff

? understood.Thanks.But a question:cold or hot plugs does not interfere in increasing or decreasing the compression ratio?

As Merle has said plugs do not have any effect on compression ratio. ? Unless of course they are loose...

But running the wrong plugs can effect an engine in many adverse ways. As an example running a plug of too high a heat range can cause the engine itself to run too hot...and even cause detonation. Heat from combustion is actually transferred through the plug into the head and then on into the cooling system. The heat range of the plug actually regulates this process.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

The compression ratio is determined by the bore and stroke dimensions of the cylinders. The spark plug has no effect on this number at all.

DSCN6193.JPG

I think Autolite 295 non-resistor plug set at .028" gap, work very well, in these engines. Or you can go a little hotter with a 306, resistor plug, set at .035".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1