53 B4C bed wood

tanda62

I used ash from a local sawmill, which is very scarce here in Ohio from the emerald ash borer. I figured if it's good for making baseball bats, it's probably pretty durable for my truck bed. 

I used several Cotes of Tung oil, but before I did that I used one of those big propane tank torches and scorched the wood. It really brought the grain out visually. The research I did told me this process was an ancient Asian technique for preserving wood. 

Since my truck used to be a fire Dept brush truck I thought it fitting, plus I actually use my truck to haul whatever.....lumber, mulch, firewood, groceries, etc. Best part is if the finish need recoted, just clean and apply.

Lemme see if I have a pic.....if not I'll edit it later and add it tomorrow.

IMG_20200722_071236552.jpg

By clearly original, do you mean it showed it's age? These trucks got used a lot, the beds are super hard to find without a ton of dents and even metal stretching from being overloaded, it took parts from several beds to make one in my case. I had to cut front stake pockets off one set of bedsides, flip them and modify to replace my rear stake pockets. I was never going to get my tailgate straight! Which is ok with me, mine gets used and I'm not worried about scratching the paint or bed wood. I love to look at the total restorations, just not what I wanted for myself.

IMG_20180812_104513190.jpeg

Sometimes the tailgate gets beat up so bad that the piece that is used in the front of the bed, can double as the sheet metal for the tailgate.

Doesn't take a lot to put it together.

Farmers are master shade-tree mechanic body-men.

48D

On 7/22/2020 at 6:50 AM, Emmy41 said:

I used ash from a local sawmill, which is very scarce here in Ohio from the emerald ash borer. I figured if it's good for making baseball bats, it's probably pretty durable for my truck bed. 

I used several Cotes of Tung oil, but before I did that I used one of those big propane tank torches and scorched the wood. It really brought the grain out visually. The research I did told me this process was an ancient Asian technique for preserving wood. 

Since my truck used to be a fire Dept brush truck I thought it fitting, plus I actually use my truck to haul whatever.....lumber, mulch, firewood, groceries, etc. Best part is if the finish need recoted, just clean and apply.

Lemme see if I have a pic.....if not I'll edit it later and add it tomorrow.

IMG_20200722_071236552.jpg

That's a nice looking bed! The ash will definitely be more durable than my cedar. This is the first time I've used tung oil but really like how it turned out. My wood working buddy that helped me plane it down suggested it.

On 7/22/2020 at 3:31 PM, Emmy41 said:

The repops are plain I believe.....

You can get plain or embosseed...just more $$