Steve Whichello

Royal 49

Hey guys, I have a 49 Chrysler Royal sedan and I need some advise to resolve a few issues.

Oil Pressure Gauge or line leaking down behind dash. Easier access front of dash to remove chrome bezel holding all gauges including speedo. Three screws one on top two on bottom but wont lift off. What am I missing.?

Cowell vent gasket shot, but back part of gasket closest to windshield not accessible without removing the whole unit. I have an ideas what to do but dont want to over complicate the process.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Steve Whichello

Edited by Royal 49
Left out something
  • Like 1

Steve, I have a 47 Desoto and a 49 Desoto. The 49 Desoto dash is the biggest pain in the ass of any of my cars ever. You can see the cars in my signature line...

Check the line first it may be just that someone pulled on it at some point in time and it cracked directly behind the gauge. You may be able to fix it by running a new line. I used a modern plastic oil line and not the copper.

As I remember, it has been about 7 years, the best thing one can do to get at the clusters to work on them is to take the speedometer out. Assuming the 49 chrysler is similar to the 49 Desoto.

Dunno if this may help but many of our mopars use the high beam indicator light fitting to help attach the instrument cluster........I am not familiar with a 1949 Chrysler but I'd check under the dash whether your car has this attachment point...........usually the light globe  fitting is clipped into the tubular piece that is then screwed onto the high beam plastic holder, you remove the light globe fitting then unscrew the tubular piece which then allows the instrument cluster to come away..........maybe............lol.............got a pic of your dash?...............

...........as for the cowl vent seal or gasket, they are all much the same also, you may have to access the attachment screws thru holes in the wire front of the vent door or flap.......these will loosen the actual flap from the hinge assembly allowing you room to pull the flap up and out of the way and get to the seal groove in the body.............loosening the actual attachment bracketry between the cowl vent under dash handle and the vent hinge probably won't be of much use as the cowl vent itself is still then attached to the same location, ie, the hinge and you still can't get enough space under the hinged cowl vent to attach a new seal........only by removing the actual vent door or flap will you gain the clearance you need........at least thats been my experience with my 1940 Dodge and 1941 Plymouth......I replaced the cowl vent seals in both and both were done the way I suggest...........but I could be wrong with your car.............lol.............Welcome aboard from Oz BTW............Andy Douglas  

1949 and 50 chrysler clusters are identical as to looks and service.

There was a thread about this same cluster service about a year ago...

Remove the 3 cluster screws

Remove the clamp and rubber firewall seals that retain the speedo cable,temp and oil gauge lines at the firewall.This will let the cluster to be pulled out of the dash just enough to get at the oil line/ hose assembly to replace it.

I've had to replace a couple.of them on my chryslers.