Progress on Ernie

Vet Doc

I don’t post many pictures, but I have enjoyed looking at everyone else’s projects so here’s what I’ve been able to accomplish with a lot of advice and information from everybody here.  This has been a little over a year and half project to this point, with a lot more to go. Complete tear down and rebuild of my wife’s great uncle’s pickup that he bought new in 1948. It sat in a pasture since 1964 after his passing until we brought it to our place in May of 2018. It sure was a pretty cool moment when the motor fired for the first time in 55 years.

E0029AC0-E35F-4271-A6BF-F3E42C27FC11.jpeg

996C982D-3D08-4EF5-9147-6003863E433C.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Well, hunting season has come and gone, as well as Thanksgiving and Christmas, we have gotten through most of the high school and junior high basketball seasons, and although there have been short trips to the shop for some minor progress, today was a day of good progress. The new kingpins are in with all of the brake plates installed fitted with new cylinders, shoes and the rest of the internals rebuilt. I rebuilt the master cylinder in a few stages over the previous described winter and it is installed and all new brake lines are installed.  

One question though—the flexible brake line for the frame to the front wheel brake cylinder—is there any washer between the fitting and the cylinder? I didn’t remember or find one and I don’t see one listed in the parts catalogue, but just want to confirm.

On 10/5/2019 at 9:54 PM, Vet Doc said:

I don’t post many pictures, but I have enjoyed looking at everyone else’s projects so here’s what I’ve been able to accomplish with a lot of advice and information from everybody here.  This has been a little over a year and half project to this point, with a lot more to go. Complete tear down and rebuild of my wife’s great uncle’s pickup that he bought new in 1948. It sat in a pasture since 1964 after his passing until we brought it to our place in May of 2018. It sure was a pretty cool moment when the motor fired for the first time in 55 years.

E0029AC0-E35F-4271-A6BF-F3E42C27FC11.jpeg

996C982D-3D08-4EF5-9147-6003863E433C.jpeg

Looking real clean. What paint did you use on the engine? I like it. It's a little more subtle than the regular silver.

On my  truck There was a washer (star) under the nut that retained the hose in the frame. No reason to use a washer on the outside, but if there is room for it, go ahead. For originality, somewhere there is a link to a parts manual here in the forum, but i stumble over it, no clue where to find it. 
The rebuild is looking great! Mine was last insured in 1965. Not rebuilt, but i got it running. 

3 hours ago, Vet Doc said:

Well, hunting season has come and gone, as well as Thanksgiving and Christmas, we have gotten through most of the high school and junior high basketball seasons, and although there have been short trips to the shop for some minor progress, today was a day of good progress. The new kingpins are in with all of the brake plates installed fitted with new cylinders, shoes and the rest of the internals rebuilt. I rebuilt the master cylinder in a few stages over the previous described winter and it is installed and all new brake lines are installed.  

One question though—the flexible brake line for the frame to the front wheel brake cylinder—is there any washer between the fitting and the cylinder? I didn’t remember or find one and I don’t see one listed in the parts catalogue, but just want to confirm.

The front wheel cylinders on both my B1B and my B2B rolling chassis have a copper washer between the front wheel cylinders and the threaded fitting of the rubber brake line.

John 

Edited by John Rogers
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, tom'sB2B said:

Looking real clean. What paint did you use on the engine? I like it. It's a little more subtle than the regular silver.

I used DupliColor engine enamel ceramic for both the primer and the final two coats. I picked the paint up from Napa and they had a variety of colors available. On the manifolds, I used a higher heat ceramic that after application I baked in the kitchen oven per specific temperatures and times. I would recommend that process for a weekend when the wife is gone. I have a couple of hours on the engine as a break-in period when it came up to heat for a period of time; it seems to be holding its color well.

3AF63584-FD41-4C7E-9A80-9F747D4686E7.jpeg.16fc887bfed02c90741673211364456f.jpeg

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, John Rogers said:

The front wheel cylinders on both my B1B and my B2B rolling chassis have a copper washer between the front wheel cylinders and the threaded fitting of the rubber brake line.

John 

Thanks for the information. I had a suspicion, but couldn’t confirm it. I got a photo of the area I’m referring to, for clarity.

AF8182CF-0C39-4774-A516-9102AE445F9B.jpeg.b4d426671c8acc8e11fe1ce7892b46c5.jpeg

3 hours ago, Vet Doc said:

Thanks for the information. I had a suspicion, but couldn’t confirm it. I got a photo of the area I’m referring to, for clarity.

AF8182CF-0C39-4774-A516-9102AE445F9B.jpeg.b4d426671c8acc8e11fe1ce7892b46c5.jpeg

I'm glad to be able to help. Yup, the copper washer goes right there between the wheel cyl and the hose fitting. I forgot to say how much I like the work your doing on your truck,  your doing an awesome job, it looks great !

John

Edited by John Rogers

• 1 month later...
53 minutes ago, Rickg said:

Hey there! I'd like to swing by and check it out-after the virus lays down that is! Nice work!

Rick from Buhl

(Vet husband, its a tough job but somebody's gotta do it.)

Absolutely. I am very much looking forward to that!

I misunderstood the washer question earlier. Yes theres copper washers. I got one with one washer out of two with the new flex hoses. But i save the copper washers when i do  brake jobs. 
so i have an assortment. If you had the old ones you could anneal them and reuse. Dont necessarily need to, i have reused them without annealing in the past. 

Cleaned up, went through, and painted the steering box and column over the past couple weeks. Attached it to the frame, roughly aligned the wheels, hooked up the tie rod, and put on the steering wheel. Maybe in the next few weeks I can figure out wheels and tires and get them on. It would be fun to rig up a milk crate on a board across the frame and take it for a spin around the yard.

C9357595-DCC2-4C3D-BDB4-CB558B907BBE.jpeg

846FCC34-C807-422A-BB82-0289003DFCE8.jpeg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Tooljunkie said:

I misunderstood the washer question earlier. Yes theres copper washers. I got one with one washer out of two with the new flex hoses. But i save the copper washers when i do  brake jobs. 
so i have an assortment. If you had the old ones you could anneal them and reuse. Dont necessarily need to, i have reused them without annealing in the past. 

I found them and got it together without problems. No matter how many notes and pictures, always seem to have missed something. Thanks for the reply.

18 hours ago, Vet Doc said:

Cleaned up, went through, and painted the steering box and column over the past couple weeks. Attached it to the frame, roughly aligned the wheels, hooked up the tie rod, and put on the steering wheel. Maybe in the next few weeks I can figure out wheels and tires and get them on. It would be fun to rig up a milk crate on a board across the frame and take it for a spin around the yard.

go carting the frame is fun....I think FEF's first 2 miles after tear down were exactly that....makes the neighbors look a lot!  :D

20 hours ago, Vet Doc said:

It would be fun to rig up a milk crate on a board across the frame and take it for a spin around the yard.

Do it!!!   LOL!!

I had a bit of a hesitation with my carb tune, which created some interesting moments on my bucket seat, but it was a blast. 

hP1140196.JPG.424876c70e7cb614ad3468baae620f26.JPG

Your seat is a bit more elaborate than mine, and probably a bit more stable as well.

Also, I didn't have my fuel tank installed yet, so I have a boat tank sitting on the deck next to me.

I suspect that was a good 'Initial Test' of your brakes, getting out of the driveway at your old house. ?

Edited by Merle Coggins