Dropping trans out of 53 cranbrook

visialyimpared

I recently pulled a bell housing and learned a couple of things. Yes the tranny would have to come out. I assume you have a manual tranny with a dry clutch? Bell housing cannot come off without removing clutch presure plate. Then flywheel too. Then bell housing can come off. 

Was it one of these rear upper block frost plugs?

D67D6C67-54F4-42D8-BBB9-60880ABAEA74.jpeg

Edited by keithb7

Welcome aboard........as far as I know all the plugs are 1 & 5/8th.......I always replace steel plugs with brass, they never rust out .......but if the rear crossmember doesn't unbolt then I'm thinking that maybe pulling the engine might be the easiest option..........as even with the bellhousing etc off you still may not have enough clearance to remove let alone replace the plug as you have to be able to hit it with enough force to flatten the centre.......the last thing you want is to find that its leaking again..............ain't old cars fun?.............lol.................andyd   

• Like 2

definitly: I too recommend to pull engine out.

Plugs are prone to headache, if not replaced perfectly!

And You must have good sight and access to do so!

Don´t forget to make many fotos, they will speed up remounting

engine + trans!

Another hint: if revised long ago, take the cylinder head off  and inspect valves and cylinders.

If engine out, rebuilding it is easy to add to the worklist!!

Greetings from Düsseldorf!

Go

Hello and welcome. If this were my car, I would remove the engine and replace all of the freeze plugs. Much easier to set them in this way. As was said, these plugs can be a headache and if one is leaking, the others probably aren't much better. With the engine out and all the plugs removed, you can flush out the cooling passages too. On one of my Plymouth's, I changed all the plugs and cleaned and painted the engine before putting it back. Good luck to you.

John R

• Like 1