Fuel gauge sending unit: Ohms ??

Go Fleiter

Hello all!

Maybe I need a new 1 wire sending unit for my 51 P 23; 6 V,.

How can I evaluate my existing unit:

Can anyone tell me how much Ohms the sending Unit should have between full and empty?

Thanks! Go

Edited by Go Fleiter

8 hours ago, 50Dodge said:

I am trying to figure out the same thing. I show 6V reading on my SW terminal. I assume if I test GA wire and see zero Ohms then my unit would be bad. Not to infringe on Go Fleiter post.

yes GA is hot. originally -6v. Zero Ohm is same as grounded. Ground GA at gauge. If it reads Full, gauge ok.

Ground terminal sender in trunk. IF same, then connection to gauge ok, 

Measure Ohm at sender to ground. Try tank then frame as ground. Typical error, tank not grounded due to corrosion etc.

Ok, I pulled the sender out of my 51 Cambridge today. measured the ohms, 90-9 is what I read from one extreme to the other.  So that Desoto FSM is correct.  My FSM shows that picture but not the ohms and I could find no reference in the book to the sender specifications.  Incidentally, it has a cork float.  Do those things ever get "waterlogged"?

See post #3 above -the ohms range is on that picture.

Good luck- your sender seems to be good!

DJ