New to Dodge flathead 6s. Cooling problem

Stewart Woollard

Hi guys,

First post and I'm already asking for help!

I've been lurking for a while. In fact, it's you guys that convinced me to get a flathead 6. I've got a 1949 218 Dodge truck engine and transmission I'm putting in my '26 Ford roadster hot rod. The fan blades will hit the top hose of my radiator. I've been told I need the cooling parts from a 1957-59 Dodge/Plymouth car. I can locate the actual pump easily enough, but don't know what else I need, or where to start looking, so I'm starting here.

Could any of you guys give me a list of parts I need for this conversion, and any sources for them. Best of all would be getting parts from you guys.

Cheers,

Stewart.

Stewart,........... welcome aboard......I'm only going on what I've seen in pics but yep the 57-59 plymouth & Dodge 6 cylinder cars had a different water pump/fan setup due to the lower hood....here in Oz all full size US sourced mopars were V8 cars so the six cylinder stuff didn't appear, but I think the water pump bolts straight onto the standard sidevalve block so apart from the water pump thats all you'll need plus a pulley and fan which can be from anything.....but why are you using the truck gearbox?......ratios will be not great......I was building a 230 a few yrs ago and intended to run a T5 from an S10 pickup........overdrive and a shifter in the right place...........andyd      

IMG_1386.JPG

I'm interested in the responses here as I am sure I will run into a similar problem with a project of mine. First thought - is the engine mounted as low as you can get it? There are front and rear sump oil pans available if that would help get things lower.

Thanks for the replies guys. I bought a truck 218 because a T5 is easier/cheaper to adapt to a truck bellhousing. I have an S10 T5 I'm going to use. Apart from the T5, I'm trying to keep this car looking like it was built in the '40s, so an electric fan is not an option. The engine is tall, and if I lower it in the frame low enough so the fan doesn't hit the upper hose, the sump hangs below the frame over 8", too low. Another hot rodder who is building a single seat car using a Dodge flathead gave me the list of parts he used to overcome the same problem.

1957-59 Plymouth car. Water pump housing. Water pump and pulley. Crank pulley, Timing cover. Generator mount.

These parts lower the water pump to the timing cover and push the pulleys forward hence the need for the crank pulley and generator mount. See picture I've attached.

The problem is locating these parts. These year cars are rare with 230 engines.

I contacted Bernhaums, who didn't have anything, but told me try Moores Salvage. They are 3 hours behind us, so I'm waiting for them to open.

Does anybody have any parts sources I should try?

Thanks,

Stewart.

eeeeeeeeghyujhyujh.PNG

• Like 1

I agree with the others, trim it to what you need. And with any fan trimmed or not, make sure they are in good shape and not loose projectiles waiting to be turned loose.

I would put the fan on the water pump because it fits, Then fabricate some tool like a nut or bushing that would fit over the shaft, then some threaded rod or anything welded to the bushing, then attach a marker to the rod at desired height.

Then spin the fan by hand and mark it perfectly all the way around.

Use your grinder with a cut off wheel and then smooth the cut edges. A little paint, nobody would know the difference.

You just need to figure out a way to mark it properly and that would be the worst part of the job.

Really I need the top of the fan blade to be at least 3"-4" lower. I think cutting this amount off the fan blades would make near useless. I need this sorted before making any engine mounts. Basically I will position the radiator, then push the engine up to the radiator, then push the body up to the back of the engine. Its a hot rod, I'm making it up as I go!!

I think the '57-'59 conversion would lower the fan about 5" which would be great. Just got to find the parts reasonably priced.

Cheers,

Stewart.

1 hour ago, HotRodTractor said:

Do you have any pictures of the front of that motor? I don't believe I have ever seen a setup quite like that.

See picture above. It shows the water pump and its separate housing, the different timing cover and the crank pulley which is spaced forward to line up with fan pulley.

Cheers,

Stewart.

3 to 4 inches is a lot, I see no reason to cut them that much, but maybe.

You have to ask yourself what the purpose of the fan is?

Generally, it only helps when you are parked at a stop light ... after you get rolling the cool air takes over.

I would think maybe you need to cut it 1 or 2 inches, your choice. Different ways to deal with the same issue.

Could you not re-route the top hose? 

3 hours ago, Stewart Woollard said:

Really I need the top of the fan blade to be at least 3"-4" lower. I think cutting this amount off the fan blades would make near useless. I need this sorted before making any engine mounts. Basically I will position the radiator, then push the engine up to the radiator, then push the body up to the back of the engine. Its a hot rod, I'm making it up as I go!!

I think the '57-'59 conversion would lower the fan about 5" which would be great. Just got to find the parts reasonably priced.

Cheers,

Stewart.

I guess I am kinda use to the deer in the headlight look, when asking for new parts at the local parts store.

Like it or not, what you are up against.

I actually find it easier to take part numbers to the part store, then order whats needed ...

2 hours ago, Stewart Woollard said:

See picture above. It shows the water pump and its separate housing, the different timing cover and the crank pulley which is spaced forward to line up with fan pulley.

Cheers,

Stewart.

Yes I see a side view. Do you have a front view?

I have found the parts I need. There are out west. They just want $500 for them! that doesn't include shipping. More than I want to pay!  Looking at running a double pulley on the water pump and mount the fan where I need it. The other possibility is to fabricate a housing and use a separate pump, like the '57-'59.

Cheers,

Stewart.