Jump to content
Rustytoolss

318 swap into a 53 plymouth ?

Recommended Posts

Just joined .  I see you guys are using flathead engines....but does anyone have any input on installing a 318 with a 904 into a 53 Plymouth ( thought you guys may have some good information) Thanks

Edited by Rustytoolss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i stuck a 318 Poly & cast iron T'f into my 1940 Dodge 45 yrs ago and its still going o/k today..........as a general guide you'll have to mount the engine/trans 1-2" over to the passenger side to clear the steering column tho' if using a rack & pinion from a cavalier you will probably be o/k with the engine centred but will have to run at least 2 uni joints from the column to the rack......as for a rear axle I think you guys in the USA use Dakota rear axle or late mopar rear ends, there are disc brake kits available, best thing is to do a bit of a search thru old threads on here and you should be ready to go........I've attached a pic of the Poly in my 40 Dodge..................using a LA mopar small block is a good move as they are a bit narrower and essentially no bigget than a SBC or SBF..........welcome aboard from Oz.........andyd   

P1000806 (800x600).jpg

P1000709 (800x600).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you use the stock steering/ how well does it work, compared to power steering ?  Can the stock rear diff be used ?   anymore pics of engine bay/left side steering gear ( I guess that would be the right side for you) ?  Thanks !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a 318 and an AX-15 5 speed from a Dakota into a 51 Cambridge several years ago. Easy swap; pretty much all boneyard/OEM parts. Exhaust manifold is a little tight on the drivers side around the stock steering column; I had to use a drivers side manifold from an early 70s Dart to get it to fit. Also used a set of Jeep CJ pedals and went with a firewall mounted master cylinder and clutch master. For brakes I used the Ford Explorer disc brake rear and did the Ford Explorer disc brake conversion on the front. Master cylinder was a manual 4 wheel disc master used on the early Corvette. Here a build thread I did on it on another site; lots of pictures and info.:

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20693&page=11

Edited by falconvan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 218 and a 3:73 rear differential. On a 100 mile one way road trip with a friend who drove a 47 coupe with a small V8. Our mpg was the same, pump to pump.  I personally do not see an advantage for aV8. JMHO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pflaming said:

I have a 218 and a 3:73 rear differential. On a 100 mile one way road trip with a friend who drove a 47 coupe with a small V8. Our mpg was the same, pump to pump.  I personally do not see an advantage for aV8. JMHO. 

I will be towing a small  trailer "Scottie type camper"  that weighs about 700-900 lbs empty. So some extra power never hurts > plus Iwant an automatic also.

Edited by Rustytoolss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, falconvan said:

I did a 318 and an AX-15 5 speed from a Dakota into a 51 Cambridge several years ago. Easy swap; pretty much all boneyard/OEM parts. Exhaust manifold is a little tight on the drivers side around the stock steering column; I had to use a drivers side manifold from an early 70s Dart to get it to fit. Also used a set of Jeep CJ pedals and went with a firewall mounted master cylinder and clutch master. For brakes I used the Ford Explorer disc brake rear and did the Ford Explorer disc brake conversion on the front. Master cylinder was a manual 4 wheel disc master used on the early Corvette. Here a build thread I did on it on another site; lots of pictures and info.:

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20693&page=11

How well did the stock steering system work out for you after you install the V8 ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rusty.........my car uses an Oz rack & pinion that I narrowed 9"and a few things that I'd do differently now but back then I was 19 and learning.......I used the original Oz 1962 Chrysler rear axle that was similar to that used by 55/56 US PLymouths, brakes were Oz sourced 4 wheel discs.......in the US Falconvans suggestions would be worth using.............andyd 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rustytoolss said:

How well did the stock steering system work out for you after you install the V8 ?

It worked great. With the big diameter steering wheel is was easy to turn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, falconvan said:

I did a 318 and an AX-15 5 speed from a Dakota into a 51 Cambridge several years ago. Easy swap; pretty much all boneyard/OEM parts. Exhaust manifold is a little tight on the drivers side around the stock steering column; I had to use a drivers side manifold from an early 70s Dart to get it to fit. Also used a set of Jeep CJ pedals and went with a firewall mounted master cylinder and clutch master. For brakes I used the Ford Explorer disc brake rear and did the Ford Explorer disc brake conversion on the front. Master cylinder was a manual 4 wheel disc master used on the early Corvette. Here a build thread I did on it on another site; lots of pictures and info.:

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20693&page=11

I tried viewing that sight but it appears you need to join to see the pics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2019 at 2:55 PM, falconvan said:

I did a 318 and an AX-15 5 speed from a Dakota into a 51 Cambridge several years ago. Easy swap; pretty much all boneyard/OEM parts. Exhaust manifold is a little tight on the drivers side around the stock steering column; I had to use a drivers side manifold from an early 70s Dart to get it to fit. Also used a set of Jeep CJ pedals and went with a firewall mounted master cylinder and clutch master. For brakes I used the Ford Explorer disc brake rear and did the Ford Explorer disc brake conversion on the front. Master cylinder was a manual 4 wheel disc master used on the early Corvette. Here a build thread I did on it on another site; lots of pictures and info.:

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20693&page=11

  I tried to join so I could look at the build thread....I never got the email to finish the registration ….what do I do now ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is plenty of swap info on this site if you take the time to search.

 

here is one...  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Rustytoolss said:

  I tried to join so I could look at the build thread....I never got the email to finish the registration ….what do I do now ?

Here’s the contact info for the moderator:

If you have problems logging in, posting, uploading images, etc. E-mail me @ ratrodmod@gmail.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Terms of Use