318 swap into a 53 plymouth ?

Rustytoolss

Just joined .  I see you guys are using flathead engines....but does anyone have any input on installing a 318 with a 904 into a 53 Plymouth ( thought you guys may have some good information) Thanks

Edited by Rustytoolss

i stuck a 318 Poly & cast iron T'f into my 1940 Dodge 45 yrs ago and its still going o/k today..........as a general guide you'll have to mount the engine/trans 1-2" over to the passenger side to clear the steering column tho' if using a rack & pinion from a cavalier you will probably be o/k with the engine centred but will have to run at least 2 uni joints from the column to the rack......as for a rear axle I think you guys in the USA use Dakota rear axle or late mopar rear ends, there are disc brake kits available, best thing is to do a bit of a search thru old threads on here and you should be ready to go........I've attached a pic of the Poly in my 40 Dodge..................using a LA mopar small block is a good move as they are a bit narrower and essentially no bigget than a SBC or SBF..........welcome aboard from Oz.........andyd   

P1000806 (800x600).jpg

P1000709 (800x600).jpg

• Like 1

Did you use the stock steering/ how well does it work, compared to power steering ?  Can the stock rear diff be used ?   anymore pics of engine bay/left side steering gear ( I guess that would be the right side for you) ?  Thanks !

I did a 318 and an AX-15 5 speed from a Dakota into a 51 Cambridge several years ago. Easy swap; pretty much all boneyard/OEM parts. Exhaust manifold is a little tight on the drivers side around the stock steering column; I had to use a drivers side manifold from an early 70s Dart to get it to fit. Also used a set of Jeep CJ pedals and went with a firewall mounted master cylinder and clutch master. For brakes I used the Ford Explorer disc brake rear and did the Ford Explorer disc brake conversion on the front. Master cylinder was a manual 4 wheel disc master used on the early Corvette. Here a build thread I did on it on another site; lots of pictures and info.:

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20693&page=11

Edited by falconvan

I have a 218 and a 3:73 rear differential. On a 100 mile one way road trip with a friend who drove a 47 coupe with a small V8. Our mpg was the same, pump to pump.  I personally do not see an advantage for aV8. JMHO. 

1 hour ago, pflaming said:

I have a 218 and a 3:73 rear differential. On a 100 mile one way road trip with a friend who drove a 47 coupe with a small V8. Our mpg was the same, pump to pump.  I personally do not see an advantage for aV8. JMHO. 

I will be towing a small  trailer "Scottie type camper"  that weighs about 700-900 lbs empty. So some extra power never hurts > plus Iwant an automatic also.

Edited by Rustytoolss

1 hour ago, falconvan said:

I did a 318 and an AX-15 5 speed from a Dakota into a 51 Cambridge several years ago. Easy swap; pretty much all boneyard/OEM parts. Exhaust manifold is a little tight on the drivers side around the stock steering column; I had to use a drivers side manifold from an early 70s Dart to get it to fit. Also used a set of Jeep CJ pedals and went with a firewall mounted master cylinder and clutch master. For brakes I used the Ford Explorer disc brake rear and did the Ford Explorer disc brake conversion on the front. Master cylinder was a manual 4 wheel disc master used on the early Corvette. Here a build thread I did on it on another site; lots of pictures and info.:

How well did the stock steering system work out for you after you install the V8 ?

Rusty.........my car uses an Oz rack & pinion that I narrowed 9"and a few things that I'd do differently now but back then I was 19 and learning.......I used the original Oz 1962 Chrysler rear axle that was similar to that used by 55/56 US PLymouths, brakes were Oz sourced 4 wheel discs.......in the US Falconvans suggestions would be worth using.............andyd 

3 hours ago, falconvan said:

I tried viewing that sight but it appears you need to join to see the pics.

On 9/26/2019 at 2:55 PM, falconvan said:

I tried to join so I could look at the build thread....I never got the email to finish the registration ….what do I do now ?

11 hours ago, Rustytoolss said:

I tried to join so I could look at the build thread....I never got the email to finish the registration ….what do I do now ?

Here’s the contact info for the moderator:

If you have problems logging in, posting, uploading images, etc. E-mail me @ ratrodmod@gmail.com