My new 54

moose

In the past few days, I've painted the housing, replaced the inner, outer, and pinion seals.  Backing plates are installed.

Before

IMG_1147.JPG.f8ad1ce8060a3458cbe55838f840e147.JPG

IMG_1146.JPG.2e7f1ea87901e10f75460f61bd983006.JPG

After

IMG_1145.JPG.fcfe02478a9785910f4e9ade82ee3ec7.JPG

Since one of the drums had chosen to remove itself from the hub, and I don't like having to use the drum puller to check/replace the brakes, I pushed the rivets out.  The lugs will now locate the drums.  Might be a little harder to put the rear wheels on, but I'm up for it.  I just need to find another rear drum, the fronts have a different offset, and won't work for the rear.

IMG_1157.JPG.70be8f6525a9416a6d45ddbc09d0ca22.JPG

IMG_1158.JPG.62c976d8c26db96505e8fc7621aad832.JPG

IMG_1160.JPG.7cea54809a3c7417264172c2316d3679.JPG

Nice work, remember you need to adjust your brakes. both the major and minor adjustments.  I did a bit of a write up on it when I found some PO induced issues with mine. 

http://www.im-creator.com/free/yourolddad/the-snipers-nest/brakes

I recommend doing the minor adjustments front and rear every oil change since they are not self adjusting.

• Like 2

I've got a couple (maybe two sets) of rear drums you can have....but I'd like to keep the hubs.

If you don't need the hubs you're welcome to them.

I also have a chart from I think it's Bendix of the measurements of the drums they make. I am pretty sure new ones without hubs are available. The trouble is the chart is metric.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Loren said:

I've got a couple (maybe two sets) of rear drums you can have....but I'd like to keep the hubs.

If you don't need the hubs you're welcome to them.

I also have a chart from I think it's Bendix of the measurements of the drums they make. I am pretty sure new ones without hubs are available. The trouble is the chart is metric.

Thanks, I'm going to look around, locally first, but I'll keep you in mind!

• 1 year later...

I haven't updated this thread in quite a while.  I've gotten a lot done, though far from being done, My son Henry has been driving it to school the past couple of weeks!

IMG_2266.JPG

IMG_2360.JPG

IMG_2361.JPG

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sniper said:

Good work so far, bet your son is having a blast.

Thanks, I think he likes it, but you never can really tell with a 17 year old boy.  He is into electronics, so we mounted an amplifier/bluetooth thing in the dash where the old trashed radio was.  He ran the wires and seems happy about that.  BTW that works just fine on the 6volt system.  

We also installed an aftermarket turn signal switch to replace the stock non-working set under the steering wheel.  He kept having to roll down the window on the way to school, and its cold in Massachusetts in November without a heater.

Then I finished installing the heater.  

More pictures to come.