oil pan compatibility

n1gzd_plymouth

Hi,

My 230 (from 52 Dodge 1/2 ton truck) is at the engine shop. The shop rejected my oil pan and oil pick up.

Before I start looking for nice replacements I need some info.

Are the pan and pickup the same for all 23 inch engines in this family? Does anyone have any. guidance on the compatibility if I find one that is for one of these engines (does it need to be from a certain 230 or are they all the same). Same question about the pickup. Will post a wanted after I understand what I am looking for.

thanks,

Rebecca

Why was the pan,etc rejected?

The are at least two different pans and matching pickups for the american made 217 and 230" motors (they use same parts). One has the oil sump in front part the other it is in the rear area of motor and both require  a matching oil pickup and crossover oil tube.

Were you trying to use the parts off of a 1936 motor?

Edited by DJ194950

I don't have the details. something just occurred to me. It it possible that my oil pan was from the 1936? I may need to visit the shop and confirm that they want one that is identical to what I have (without corrosion).  I don't have a photo of the oil pan but attached is the engine after the oil pan was removed. You can see the pickup. The pickup appears to be mid to rear. This is the pickup that was rejected (does not look terrible in this photo but it is not a great photo). Can you tell which style of oil pan this must go with? Also can you rule out the 1936 oil pan? I may need to get the shop to send some photos as I do not have it in my possession now.

Rebecca

IMG_4360.jpeg

Compatibility of the oil pans will be determined by the chassis, not the block.  I think all 230 blocks will be the same at the pan rail.  My old Hollander shows one pan to fit 49-56 1/2T, 2 different ones for 53/54 dodge cars dependent on the chassis, another for 55-56 dodge cars and yet another for 57-58.  Similar issue with Plymouths, but same interchange numbers as Dodge.  Obviously the pickup must match the pan.

My book doesn't go back beyond the late 40s.   Maybe someone has a 27-28th edition if you're dealing with an older chassis.

Edited by kencombs

What were the reasons for the rejection as that pickup looks to be an o/k candidate to be cleaned.........so what were the pan/pickup rejection reasons?...............andyd

I was told that there were corrosion but I did not actually talk to the engine mechanic myself (possibly not possible until friday). I guess I will just start looking without knowing if what I find is correct.

It needs to fit the car too.

Rebecca

If I'm reading the photo right you had a rear sump pan and pickup. That would mean your pan was likely original to the car and swapped out with the truck pan. The truck pan would have been front sump. The good news there is the rear sump pans were used on cars for many years and should be fairly easy to track down. 

On 9/23/2019 at 9:33 PM, HotRodTractor said:

Granted I can't see that entire pickup..... but I also can't imagine there is so much wrong that it couldn't be repaired...... what you can see in that picture looks pretty decent.

talked to them today. some pitting corrosion. He wants me to find an NOS one.

Rebecca

On 9/25/2019 at 3:17 AM, MarcDeSoto said:

I have a good oil pan from a 48 Dodge sedan that is for sale if you can use it.  

what engine does that have (is it compatible with a 230)? Does it have a clean oil pick up to? is the engine bad? (why do you want to separate the oil pan from it)? 

Rebecca

I'd  be very surprised if a NOS oil pickup could be found, let alone a NOS one without some sort of rust on it.........these things are at least 60 yrs old, if not more and as far as I know, just mild steel, unprotected mild steel at that........there maybe a nice un rusty one somewhere but my best wishes go with you in finding it.......can't the original one be cleaned out?...........the pipe can be dropped in an acid bath if need be, the pickup and screen come apart as far as I know, or at least those I've seen do..............that sheet metal cover on the pickup is held on by 4 bits folded over the strainer part, undo them, clean the sheet metal cover, throw some degreaser into the mesh screen & then clean it out............what am I missing?..........lol.............I can't see any rust holes or flaking rust on the pipe........not trying to be a PITA but hasn't your engine rebuilder ever had to clean an engine part such as this?..................lol...........andyd 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2019 at 8:29 PM, n1gzd_plymouth said:

Now that I have spent some time looking for oil pans and probably buying two wrong ones I understand a little more. I don't know for sure but I am now guessing that my original oil plan is not from a truck because it is rear sump. I just accidentally bought two oil pans for trucks that have a rear sump. Now I am wondering what oil pan is on my car (could it be 1936 original oil pan?). I a considering just telling the engine guy that we must use the one that I have (can patch it). However, I will continue looking for a replacement.

R

IMG_4360.jpeg

In your photo if that is your engine, still in your car,

you will need a pan that won't interfere with your

tie rod. My car is a '38 Dodge, quite similar to your

"36 or '39'.  Engine is from a '54 with a rear sump pan'

Plunked right in after a bell housing swap (another

issue). Photo you posted seems to show a pick-up

for a rear sump. 

On 9/25/2019 at 3:17 AM, MarcDeSoto said:

I have a good oil pan from a 48 Dodge sedan that is for sale if you can use it.  

I am interested. can you PM me. Do you have a pickup that looks like the one in my photo as well? My understanding is that mine has pinholes.

22 hours ago, plymjim said:

In your photo if that is your engine, still in your car,

you will need a pan that won't interfere with your

tie rod. My car is a '38 Dodge, quite similar to your

"36 or '39'.  Engine is from a '54 with a rear sump pan'

Plunked right in after a bell housing swap (another

issue). Photo you posted seems to show a pick-up

for a rear sump. 

yes I need a pan for rear sump.

Rebecca

On 9/24/2019 at 8:05 PM, bobus8 said:

This pickup looks similar to the one in my 47 Plymouth.  Just so you know, these pickups float on top of the oil so if there is a possibility of sinking then you would want it either repaired or replaced.

I think that this one looks good: https://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-M37-WC-3-4-1-1-2-TON-ENGINE-OIL-PAN-NEW-N-O-S/192563032792?hash=item2cd5a6b2d8:g:1VcAAOSwxUtbGz0Z:sc:USPSPriorityMailSmallFlatRateBox!94043!US!-1

looks like rear sump (unlike the first one that I found). I think that an M37 has a 230.

Rebecca

Edited by n1gzd_plymouth

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2019 at 4:29 PM, n1gzd_plymouth said:

what engine does that have (is it compatible with a 230)? Does it have a clean oil pick up to? is the engine bad? (why do you want to separate the oil pan from it)? 

Rebecca

This oil pan came from a 1948 Dodge sedan with the stock 230 c.i. engine that I bought for about $100 in 1983 non-running.  I bought it to part it out.  I no longer have the car since I towed it to the junk yard after I'd pulled off all of the good parts.  I still have some interior parts from that car, but don't have the rest of the engine anymore.  I still have the fluid drive and the oil pan.  It was a San Diego car, so the oil pan is in good condition.  Marc.

Edited by MarcDeSoto