Spindle info??

CO54

I have a '54 C series, and I'm looking to do the front disc conversion.  Does anyone have a parts manual that would list the PN # for the front spindles used on a C series and B series.  Trying to figure out if different spindles were used or not.  I know the bolt pattern, and rims size difference is already there, and not an issue with doing a rear axle swap too. Just curious if upgrades listed for B series will work on my existing spindles. 

Thanks for any assistance. 

V/R 

Eric

Charlie at Rust Hope is pretty good at answering questions about his kits , why don't you give him a call or email and ask about differences in the spindles . It sounds like you don't mind going with the 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern that his kit would use . You did read about his products on his web site right ? I can't help with part numbers for the different spindles .  

I don't know about the older than 1953 Dodge straight axles, but when one of my front wheels spun a bearing and wiped out the hub and spindle, I was told I could use one from any of the Dodge I-Beams from the '50's up.  I got a set from a '69 1/2 ton short-wide  that was a "miser," lightweight 6 cyl - the kingpins were the wrong size.

I went back and got a set from a '69, full size Sweptline with a slant 6 - fit great.  I am using the spindles, hubs and drum brakes.  It goes without saying to use the wheel bearings and seals that fit the replacement spindles and hubs.

So, from my experience, spindles (get the hubs and all the brake stuff, too) from the newer Dodge I-beams will work, just make sure that you have the correct King Pin size or a parts yard that will work with you if you get a set that won't fit..

Edited by Bobacuda
left out age of truck
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info on options to swap out, and differences to look for.  I have reached out to Charlie with Rusty Hope, and he indicated that his kit will work, provided the current spindle has a certain measurement for the inner bearing.  Will be pulling them off to measure here shortly.  Have to fix the kids and wife's car first though.