List Your First & Latest Mopar Experiences

keithb7

My earliest  memory was our Sunday drives in my dads 47 Desoto.  I was probably 5 or 6.  Dad would stop and get a quart of beer, and a pack of gum (Dentyne) for my brother and I.  We would stand behind the front seat and hang onto that rope across the back of the seat.  And off we'd go, driving around the country side, with mom holding the baby in the front seat.

About 20+ years ago, they developed the land where the Desoto was setting in a grove of trees with some other cars.  I drove out there and looked for something the salvage.  I took that rope off the back of the seat, and the grill guard.  Earlier this year, I mounted it on a piece of wood, and hung it in my "man cave".  I'm thinking about incorporating that grill guard into some sort of magazine rack.

My most recent experience, I drove my 41 Plymouth business coupe 11 miles over to my shop in a neighboring town.

A3AB63F6-1ED6-4DF1-B344-38E3D825FFB0.jpeg

Edited by Furylee2

OK.  Since you guys posted pix, I couldn't resist.  Here are some photos of the 48 Plymouth 4-Door Sedan I owned back in 1987.  I really wish I still had it.  I paid $1600 and drove it home.  These photos represent pretty much the condition it was in when I purchased it.

010 resized.jpg

009 resized.jpg

008 resized.jpg

007 resized.jpg

Learned to drive in Dad's 1975 Dodge D100 with a three in the tree. First vehicle I bought was a 1957 Dodge pickup but never got it on the road and sold it. Drove my parents 1980 Volare with the hillside six until I bought a 1974 Plymouth Valiant Scamp with the leaning tower of power and an automatic. Blew up the auto in the first month and changed it over to a three speed stick out of an old Demon I had bought for parts.Had many Mopars over the years and most recently bought a 1950 Fargo FN2 1 ton to play with but needs lots of work.

seriously I would not post this, but tim in nb said go ahead  :P

My wife has a 1993 dodge caravan, was her mothers car, when her mother died was passed on to her.

My father inlaw did a lot of work to the car, but he always hated it and called it the "*******"

A rebuilt transmission at 150k was mandatory ... still gave him issues.

Since my wife has owned it, first thing we did is re-name it Lady Belle

She is pretty happy with a proper name, she no longer leaks trans fluid and no longer burns oil between oil changes.

Just did  a maintenance check on her as tomorrow taking her for a 4 hour road trip ... she checks out great. I washed her windows and vacuum her floors.

Treat a mopar right and they will return the favor .

7 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

seriously I would not post this, but tim in nb said go ahead  :P

My wife has a 1993 dodge caravan, was her mothers car, when her mother died was passed on to her.

My father inlaw did a lot of work to the car, but he always hated it and called it the "*******"

A rebuilt transmission at 150k was mandatory ... still gave him issues.

Since my wife has owned it, first thing we did is re-name it Lady Belle

She is pretty happy with a proper name, she no longer leaks trans fluid and no longer burns oil between oil changes.

Just did  a maintenance check on her as tomorrow taking her for a 4 hour road trip ... she checks out great. I washed her windows and vacuum her floors.

Treat a mopar right and they will return the favor .

Can't recall exactly which but some of those early minivans had Mitsubishi V-6's. A pretty good motor with quite a bit of power and easy to swap out. A pretty good vehicle overall. OTOH I had a 2008 Grand Caravan that was a total piece of junk, brakes and CV joints before 50k, barely 125k on the transmission. It went away in 2010. Yes, I drive a LOT!! 

Edited by MackTheFinger

Maybe one of my first mopar experience, At a Sambo's coffee shop when I was 18, I bought A 1969 satellite with a 318 wedge for $35

The owner was broke down and could not get the car running. The owner of the restaurant told him to get it out of the parking lot.

I bought it and fixed the firing order of the spark plug wires and drove it home .... still it was a bondo buggy.

Yeah the owner was pissed, but I was 18 and dating his little sister, he thought carrying a gun made him bigger ... his sister made him smaller  :P

one more, I had a 1970 something cornet police car, traded it to my brother inlaw for a 1961 sweptline, 6cyl, 4 speed posi rear end

My brother inlaw used the truck to haul scrap metal, it was worn out before I got it. He loved the police car so I traded him.

One day my wife was driving the 1961 truck down the freeway and heard a explosion, she was concerned and thought maybe a tire blew, pulled off the freeway to check it out.

could find nothing wrong and went about her day and drove home.

Next Saturday, my day off I looked at the truck, was the dipstick blown off and curled up from a explosion in the crank case .... had to stand on the inner fender and use 2 hands to pull the dipstick out, and then it was 1" short.

Fuel leaking past the carb and caused a explosion in the crank case ... we still drove that truck for another year and traded it back to the brother inlaw who used it to scrap iron