|ol smoky

BobDeSoto

I was on a Hill and Valley Tour today - 51 DeSoto

The brakes started to fade a bit so I used low gear and the engine to slow down on the hills.

I could still stop if I needed.

Using the engine to brake raised the rpms and caused a considerable amount of smoking.

What do you think is the likely culprit causing the smoke?

Valve guides are getting a little too loose which allows more oil to get sucked up into the combustion chamber when on a long deceleration (going downhill using engine as braking.

DJ

Old worn engine....

Back when I was young and had a few Mopar flatheads, they were pretty worn and tired by the time I got them and behaved as you described. Oil pressure was usually pretty low too but I kept topping up the oil and didn't push them very hard and got by okay. Fun times back then.

John R

I had the top end of my 265 engine apart 2 years ago. It was my first time in there. I had low compression on two cylinders. I did my first valve grind. The car was new to me. At the time I was not aware of any smoke while engine braking. I wanted to get out cruising, enjoying it. I overlooked the valve guide clearances. #1  exhaust felt a little looser than the rest. I pushed ahead and completed the grind job. I’ve had a great time with the car since then. 

However, I regret not changing the guides now every time I see the smoke. Which happens on steep declines, regularly. I should have done it right. 

If you are considering your next move to deal with the smoke, might  as well start with a compression, and oil preasure test. Then you’ll know how far you’ll be going into the engine. 

Edited by keithb7