Valve adjustment methods

Conn47D24

Today I tweaked my valve adjustment using the NOT running procedure discussed here many times.

I believe it is available on the tech section.

Engine is smooth and quiet ! 

During rebuild I did set these cold.  Then in the car I did the Running method .

Although I thought I managed this ok, the valves were still I bit noisy.

Certainly recomend the non-running adjustment. 

• Like 2

Running the engine up to operating temperature is important. The valves operate at different temperatures. Iron expands as it heats up. Clearances change and vary from a valve toward the front of the engine compared to the rear.  

What I did was jack up the front wheel. Remove the inner fender window. Reinstall tire. Leave jack and tools in the driveway at ready. Go for a good drive to warm everything up. Pull in the driveway and jack up RF tire again and remove. Then you’re quickly ready to set hot valves. 

I turned off my engine. Set all the valves. Then I started the engine up and checked clearances while running. I could hear and feel the difference with a feeler guage, if the valve needed further adjustment. Then I shut the engine off, adjusted the valves again that needed it. Then double checked them all one more time with it running.  When I was satisfied, I re-installed the inner Fender window and tire. Been enjoying the car ever since. 

The results turned out great. 

• Like 2