back from the yearly moose hunt.

casper50

“ only had one gun in my entire life, a Daisy BB gun. I had nor have anything against hunting and guns or rifles, it just wasn’t my lifestyle. Maybe because my dominant eye was my left one and I shot right handed when I did hunt. Dad had a double barrel 12 gauge which I used on occasion.” 

Casper, is that a political weapon? LOL 

Edited by pflaming

Could you use train yourself to shoot left handed? Although, as a lefty I have found that many rifles are not lefty friendly. Bolt actions certainly are not. And some semi-autos will eject shells right in front of your nose. But there are some out there that work left handed just fine. 

My cousin is left-handed. He shoots with Ithaca guns. The empty cartridge goes to the left. I don’t see what is hard about shooting left-handed. I can shoot left or right handed, just close one eye if need be.

4 hours ago, casper50 said:

I also learned to close one eye even shooting shotguns.  I am told that isn't the correct way to shoot a shotgun. lol

Actually, it is not the correct way to shoot any gun.  Once you learn to shoot with both eyes open you will wonder why you did it the other way.

I was taught, with both eves open point your index / trigger finger at a semi distant object, a fence post or street light. Then close one eye then the other and you will quickly learn what you are actually aiming at. 

7 minutes ago, pflaming said:

I was taught, with both eves open point your index / trigger finger at a semi distant object, a fence post or street light. Then close one eye then the other and you will quickly learn what you are actually aiming at. 

I am left handed, but my right eye is dominant.  (Possibly from a childhood injury to my left eye.)  I also have never been into hunting, but in target practice (22 rifle), I was more accurate shooting from the hip left handed than I was aiming right handed. 

I could never shoot (while aiming) with both eyes open, have never been able to use a binoculars with both eyes open, either.  I have some sort of sight issue where it is difficult to force both eyes to focus on the same spot.  When I was first being measured for bi-focals (use tri-focals now) they tried to use an electronic device to measure the distance between my pupils, but it didn't work - I saw two lights instead of one (which I was supposed to look at while they took the measurement).  They had to use an old style device to manually take the measurement.  (The closer the object is to me, the more difficult it is.)  Then several years ago my eye doctor told me that he could make anyone with my eye issue close their eyes simply by asking them a question that would require some thought.  He told me that just keeping my eyes focused together required some certain percentage of available brain power.  Then it made sense why I do often close my eyes to think.

• Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...