back from the yearly moose hunt.

casper50

629 lbs turned into the butcher.  Will feed us for  a year.

if that moose dressed out at 50%, then that was a 1250 lb animal. That is not s calf! Great rack. Why some full wing others stick style? 

16 hours ago, casper50 said:

Don't understand "full wing and stick style".

Go back to post #3 where you're posing with the two racks and I think you'll understand his analogy.  Paul, I'm pretty sure that's a normal growth style rack for moose and points are counted differently for moose as compared to a whitetail.

• 2 weeks later...

Good hunt!  I was once again skunked in Maine's moose lottery, we're in the middle of the season right now.  I can hunt vicariously through your adventures when you post.  The State changed the rules last year so that one doesn't go forever without getting drawn (as has happened to a few folks I know), but it still takes 30 continuous years of not getting drawn to be eligible.  Under 16 and over 65 can get a moose tag fairly quickly, tho.  (Still have a while to wait for the latter.)  We'll see.  Thanks for posting! 

You have to be a Maine resident for the age waivers, unless someone who draws a tag lists you as the second on their tag.  Guides ("Registered Maine Guide") and guided hunts abound here, but best option in my book is just to find someone who hunts regularly and is familiar with the woods, folks up here like to share the hunting experience just as much as actually taking a moose.  Someone will draw a tag, and have a host of buddies tag along just to help.  In Maine, a guide has to be certified by, and registered with, the State to take any compensation.  

Legally I am not allowed to guide, however if you’re coming thru Kamloops on your way to Alaska, l may be able to bring you along with me moose or deer hunting. 

I just got in from an overnight hunting trip with a few buddies. Lots of hiking, I’m sore tonite. No bucks seen but we had fresh grouse for dinner. Lots more hunting to go as the season here in my area ends on Dec 10. 

My grouse gun seen here is a Henry .22 lever action. This gun is amazingly accurate. Great stuff out of New Jersey. 

75651AE2-A192-409C-BF04-4868CBB069BC.jpeg

• Like 1

Theses were the weapons I shot when I was a child thru my teens....Grampa's gun cabinet.

Ithaca 10 G goose gun

Sears? 12 G side by side

Winchester model 1897 12 G pump with hammer....don't rack it hard she'll fire again!

Monitor 22 cal pump with scope

Winchester 22 cal lever action

Savage Model 110 30.06 bolt action

Really old 410 single shot

Side by side 20 G double hammer double trigger

Smith and Wesson Russian 44 cal 6 shooter

a pellet gun for shooting at cans....lol.

Not in the gun cabinet....never got too touch them.

M-1 Garand

M-3 grease gun

Singer sewing machine 45 cal pistol

international tractor 45 cal pistol

Several Nambu 94s no ammo.

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:16 PM, keithb7 said:

My grouse gun seen here is a Henry .22 lever action. This gun is amazingly accurate. Great stuff out of New Jersey. 

75651AE2-A192-409C-BF04-4868CBB069BC.jpeg

Nice.  My favorite grouse gun is either my Ruger 10/22 (iron sights) or Ruger 77/22 (scoped).  Both are nail drivers, which one I use depends on how thick the forest is where I plan to hunt.  Shots past 15 yards are rare around here, most are within 5 yards or so. But I'll take a scattergun when hunting with buddies, darn birds don't sit still long enough for a .22 shot when there's a group of us in the field, too much noise.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I only had one gun in my entire life, a Daisy BB gun. I had nor have anything against hunting and guns or rifles, it just wasn’t my lifestyle. Maybe because my dominant eye was my left one and I shot right handed when I did hunt. Dad had a double barrel 12 gauge which I used on occasion.