What Horn

SteveR

I have a 1937 Plymouth Deluxe 6. I have owned it now for 1 year. I noticed between the radiator and front grill a horn loose. I eventually got it out and appears to be a klaxon type. Currently I have a modern horn to pass the testing here in England. I am wondering what type horn was used in my 1937 Plymouth.

Also is there a repair manual. The diaphragm looks bent in 2 directions.

Thank guys!

I have the service manual for the Plymouth 1926-41. There is no mention of the horn in there except for the wiring.

Will the above manual tell me what horn is suppose to be in my car?

Steve......my oz built 1940 Dodge is Plymouth based and the horn shown in this pic is the original trumpet part, at least the chromed part shown is but I fitted up another horn back, I think a Lucas 12 volt one to the original trumpet......I've had the car since 1971 and that was the original horn trumpet when purchased by me back then......is it similar to the "klaxon" one you refer to tho' the actual horn mechanism is different to that shown............make sense?...............andyd  

P1000418.JPG

Thank Andy that helps.

Could you tell me if the workings are a solenoid with a metal diaphragm for the sound.

Nice engine! Do you have a Picture of the rest of your car?

Steve.....havn't a clue how the horn works.........lol...........it was from an English car I think, but it was 40 odd yrs ago........the cars been basically like this pic since the mid 70's, I bought it in 1971, installed the 318 Poly, auto, discs etc in the early/mid 70's .......have attached a couple of pics.........sorry can't help much re the horn............I think its whatever the 50's/60's morris/austins had.......I think.........lol........but I ended up replacing it a couple of yrs ago as the chrome job was never very good  and the bracket I made was supposed to have a pair of horns but I didn't find another trumpet the same, nor did I look too hard and I ended up just getting an aftermarket horn and mounting it behind the grille.....this engine pic is how it looks now...........andyd  

P1010402.JPG

P1010405.JPG

P1010268.JPG

P1000670.JPG

Thanks Andy,

I love the look of your car!

You really did a good job. It all seems to tie in together, old + new. Some old cars are done up so modern it detracts from the car. Course that's my opinion.

The only problem I can see is the steering is on the wrong side. LOL

Thanks for your help.

Steve

• 1 month later...

An update.

I have removed the horn and adjusted it. I am sure the neighbors were very happy with me as it took some time in adjusting and trying it and and trying it for about 1/2 hour.

I then was under the car jacking it up to clean the grease from the brakes (my seal is gone and the only place I can get one is in the US). I noticed some holes in the cross member and lo and behold 2 of them line up with my horn. You can actually see the outline of where the bracket went. I guess I can safety say this horn is the original. The next question, which I probably never know is, why did someone unbolt the horn and leave it loose? Thanks for all you guys help.

The P6 had a single diaphragm horn. It has a long-ish snout on it. As an option you could order the car with dual hi/low tone horns. My '38 P6 has one horn mounted on the firewall in front of the driver. I would like to upgrade my horn to the duals. My single horn pretty boring sounding, however was stock. Duals would be nice if I can find a set. I quite like the sound of the electric Klaxon aah-oo=gah horns, however are not necessarily period correct in 1938.

Edited by keithb7

On 9/17/2019 at 9:04 AM, Andydodge said:

Steve.....havn't a clue how the horn works.........lol...........it was from an English car I think, but it was 40 odd yrs ago........the cars been basically like this pic since the mid 70's, I bought it in 1971, installed the 318 Poly, auto, discs etc in the early/mid 70's .......have attached a couple of pics.........sorry can't help much re the horn............I think its whatever the 50's/60's morris/austins had.......I think.........lol........but I ended up replacing it a couple of yrs ago as the chrome job was never very good  and the bracket I made was supposed to have a pair of horns but I didn't find another trumpet the same, nor did I look too hard and I ended up just getting an aftermarket horn and mounting it behind the grille.....this engine pic is how it looks now...........andyd  

P1010402.JPG

P1010405.JPG

P1010268.JPG

P1000670.JPG

Andy - every time I see photos of your Dodge, I get very envious!  Lol!  Love the look of that car.  I had a ‘40 Plymouth ( very similar) many years ago - wish I had kept it!  Still like my ‘50, though.

- Rosco

Keith.......that P6 horn appears to be the same horn that my 1940 Dodge had, but I removed the 6volt "horn" part and bolted a 12 volt British horn onto the trumpet.......I replaced it 4-5 yrs ago with a small aftermarket one behind the grille..........andyd

On 10/29/2019 at 10:04 PM, casper50 said:

truer words have never been spoken.  It's for sale up here in Alaska. lol

If some one buys it and drives it through the south, ALA, GA, TENN., It will be on some rednecks wall with the story... There I wuz on my furth beer, and it came chargin rite at me....

Joe Lee