"Temporary" Tire Options

Imperigal

At this point, it's not in my budget to purchase a set of wide whites. What is a good more affordable option? I'm even considering just throwing some used tires on here until I can got the correct ones. I just don't know what size I'd be looking for. Tried searching for the answer, but couldn't find it!

Please note that I will not be driving on the highway with my temporary tires. Just want something that is a little less scary than what's on there. As of right now, the car doesn't even have brakes. But I hope to change that this week ?

The tires that are currently on it sat in the same spot for over 30 years, hence the incredibly deep cracks!

20190908_191207.jpg

Find the tire size printed on the sidewall.  Google vintage tire conversion chart and you will get your answer.  Probably around 225-75-15s.  I just looked up the same thing earlier today.  You should print out the chart to keep handy.  The only issue I can see if you go larger is that there will be very little room on the rear between the fender and the hub to remove it if you get a flat.

It's been a hectic few days! Finally had time to take some measurements. Rims are 16" in diameter, tire treads are 6.5" wide, so I'm guessing the rims could be as narrow as 5.5"? Is that right? The designation on the tire says "H78 - 15 Tubeless". They are Broadway brand wide whites.

How can they measure 16" in diameter, yet the tire says 15?

Just now, Imperigal said:

the bead of the tire, the rim is 15", but you need a lip around the wheel to hold the tire on.

While the 15" will be consistent, the outside lip holding the tire on can change depending on manufacturer.

The bigger the tire, like a semi truck tire, they have a bigger lip, but the diameter of the rim is uniform for everyone..

• Like 1

H series were equivalent to 800 or 825 tires. Generally unless other wise indicated were 8/85 aspect ratio. The 800 would mean the tire when inflated on the rim was approximately 8 inches wide at it's widest point, usually some where between the tread and the bead. These were mounted on lager cars like Chryler New Yorkers,Buick Roadmasters,  Lincoln, Packards and such.  These letter ceries came out in the late sixties and continued till radial tires became common in the US.Muscle cars of the era got wide ovals and such, these were generally 70 aspect. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Imperigal said:

It's been a hectic few days! Finally had time to take some measurements. Rims are 16" in diameter, tire treads are 6.5" wide, so I'm guessing the rims could be as narrow as 5.5"? Is that right? The designation on the tire says "H78 - 15 Tubeless". They are Broadway brand wide whites.

I vacillated on tire choices for a couple weeks when putting my P15 back on the road. I finally settled on bias-ply Coker H78-15 Classic 3" wide whites. This is about as wide as I would want to force between the rear drum and fender. I really considered radials but was concerned about difficulty steering at parking speed. If doing it over I might go radials for a little softer ride but the speedo is accurate with the H-78s and I run about 25 psi for acceptable ride comfort. I doubt I'll wear out these tires.  :)

20190320_135245-small.jpg.c3e00ea16602e2e55a0ef5ca3319ef98.jpg

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 1:10 PM, greg g said:

205 are too short make speedo read 10 mph faster than actual speed I have 225 75 15 on my rears with no issues.  But the OP hasn't said if his are  15 or 16, or if reuse of stock wheels or different rims.

They are 15" and I plan on using the stock rims. ?