timing marks

belvedere

I'm assembling my 1957 230.  The timing marks on the damper don't line up. They appear to be roughly 40* off.  I had discovered that the marks were off before the rebuild, but I just assumed the outer ring had slipped on the damper.  Well, now the damper has been professionally rebuilt.  I know the engine is original to the car, but I'm guessing that either the damper or timing cover must have been swapped at some point.  Does that sound reasonable?  Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

May be time to remove the timing chain cover to make sure the timing marks on the gears are properly aligned?

DJ

since your dampener is rebuilt I would just ignore the old marks.  It's possible the rebuilder failed to index the ring to the keyway and wrongly assumed the location it was in when received was correct.    Find TDC and mark your own.  Then measure the pulley circumference

and divide by 360.  that is the distance of 1 deg.  Mark several degrees from your new TDC and get on with the assembly.

A positive stop works best for the TDC location if the head is off.  Otherwise use the plug over #6 in conjunction with a dial indicator to precisely locate TDC

Truth be told, I almost never use a timing light on older systems anyway, just use a vacuum gauge and set it at the optimum for your particular engine.

Edited by kencombs
  • Like 1