Aussie DeSoto

Roger the Dodger

I thought you might have had it done.........I've been looking for a large, about 3foot diameter,  repo'd "Approved Dodge Service" metal sign in dark blue & white........I had an original enamel both sides sign that like a fool I sold a couple of years ago and have regretted it ever since........whilst a repo'd one is not the same I can't afford to pay what I got for mine............lol..........and a repo'd one will work just a well............lol..........andyd.   

Looks like a great day, especially like the 2 pics of the Chrysler Royals......the blue one is a 1959/60 AP2 Chrysler Royal, the green one is a 1961/62 AP3 Chrysler Royal.........these Royals were introduced in 1957 with the AP1 which was the first to use the 1954 Plymouth body shell and modified 55/56 Plymouth fenders grafted to it.........grilles and body moldings whilst unique to the 57-62 Royals were very much influenced by US mopars especially the DeSoto from 1955/56 and 1958/59......engines were the 230 if a 3 speed was ticked, 250 if the Overdrive or Powerflite/Torqueflite ticked and the 303/313 Poly V8 with only the 3 speed Torqueflite available.......I think these Royals were the only cars that had BOTH engine families available in the same model..........I parted out a 1962 Royal as good as that green one in 1973 for the engine/trans in my 40 Dodge................nice to see these Royals getting the kudos they deserve...........attached pic is of a 1957/58 Chrysler Royal..........and for the nitpickers, the V8 badge on the blue cars front fender is from an Oz 55-56 Frod Customline............lol...........andyd     

1957ChryslerRoyal.png

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Looks good from here.........BTW Roger, I've been trying to work out the car behind the trees......1st I thought it was a 37/38 Oz Mopar Sloper but the grille doesn't look right, seems more like a 37/38 Buick grille.....and Oz GM apparently did do a few 37/38 Buicks as slopers............don't suppose you know what the car is?.............lol...........andyd 

8 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Looks good from here.........BTW Roger, I've been trying to work out the car behind the trees......1st I thought it was a 37/38 Oz Mopar Sloper but the grille doesn't look right, seems more like a 37/38 Buick grille.....and Oz GM apparently did do a few 37/38 Buicks as slopers............don't suppose you know what the car is?.............lol...........andyd 

Andy, it is a 1937 DeSoto S3 Coupe owned by a member of Chrysler Restorers Victoria. Roger.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Looking good...........my dodge had an earleir version of the vinyl wrap........a vinyl top, the car had a few flat spots in the roof and I couldn't get them out so had a vinyl top put on in 1974/75 by a local(Sydney) upholsterer, it was distinctive and o/k for a long time but took it off about 10-12 yrs ago and a mates son repainted the roof in 2 pack.............the second pic shows the original paint colour and even the "vinyl roof to go here" some 20yr old guy wrote back then...........lol...............regards, andyd 

P1010403.JPG

IMG_1372.JPG

P1000362.JPG

6 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Looking good...........my dodge had an earleir version of the vinyl wrap........a vinyl top, the car had a few flat spots in the roof and I couldn't get them out so had a vinyl top put on in 1974/75 by a local(Sydney) upholsterer, it was distinctive and o/k for a long time but took it off about 10-12 yrs ago and a mates son repainted the roof in 2 pack.............the second pic shows the original paint colour and even the "vinyl roof to go here" some 20yr old guy wrote back then...........lol...............regards, andyd 

P1010403.JPG

IMG_1372.JPG

Looks so much better without the vinyl !!!!!

• Like 2

RobertKB...yep I fully agree, it had started to get a couple of small rust bubbles at the front & rear screen rubber seals which after 40 yrs had gone rock hard so it came off, ...........thing was that apart from 2 or 3 small bubbles of rust there was no other rust , the rain gutters were perfect as was 99% of the screen seal edges, we, me mate & I removed the roof lining and we got the flat spots out........when Geoff's son repainted the roof he did from the cowl/hood edge up the front pillars thru to the roof/trunk edge and to each rain gutter lip.......I'd painted the car in acrylic lacquer last in 1978 so it was looking a bit tired, he did the roof in 2 pack then threw a glaze over the rest and buffed it all...........even tho' theres quite a bit of crazing now in the paint, from 15foot you don't notice it and its nice & shiney again...........lol.............andyd  

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I have recently installed a heater in the DeSoto. I picked it up in a second hand shop.

I bought a new brass heater tap, which is pull for on. I used the old choke cable to operate it. I had an old heater fan switch in my stash, it is off/on and variable fan speed.

Works really well.

IMG_0904.jpeg

• Like 1