Aussie DeSoto

Roger the Dodger

G'day All, This is my 1955 DeSoto Diplomat Regent. I bought it recently and got a Roadworthy Certificate yesterday morning, and got Club Permit plates in the afternoon.

Previous owners have thrown a lot of money at it and all I had to do was replace a defective hydraulic brake light switch.

It is a SP25-3 with a 250.6 cu in motor (3 7/16 x 4 1/2) and 3 speed with O/drive. The carby is off a Falcon with aftermarket air cleaner. Electric fuel pump next to tank.

It has been repainted at some time and the engine fully recoed. Recently the head has been shaved .050".

Now to drive the wheels off it.

IMG_1583R.jpg

IMG_1620R.jpg

IMG_1618R.jpg

IMG_1613R.jpg

IMG_1615R.jpg

• Like 14

Awesome!! Congrats on the purchase.  I'm very happy to hear that you're going to drive the wheels off of it ?

Wherever you drive it and whatever you do with it post your adventures right here!

Welcome aboard.....from the height of the aircleaner I assume that its an XF style Falcon Weber carby......nice looking DeSoto..........was it on Oz Ebay recently?..............its interesting to see how Oz Chrysler used various bits & pieces to differentiate the 3 brands they sold here in that period, ie, Plymouth, Dodge & DeSoto........and then in 1957 they marketed only the Chrysler brand till 1962 tho there were imported full size Plymouth, Dodge & DeSotos sold from 57 onwards...........got any more pics?..................andyd                    

1 hour ago, Andydodge said:

Welcome aboard.....from the height of the aircleaner I assume that its an XF style Falcon Weber carby......nice looking DeSoto..........was it on Oz Ebay recently?..............its interesting to see how Oz Chrysler used various bits & pieces to differentiate the 3 brands they sold here in that period, ie, Plymouth, Dodge & DeSoto........and then in 1957 they marketed only the Chrysler brand till 1962 tho there were imported full size Plymouth, Dodge & DeSotos sold from 57 onwards...........got any more pics?..................andyd                    

Andy, it is a single barrel carby, but I do have a XF Weber 2 barrel with electric choke on the shelf. The one on Ebay was a Dodge similar colour. He has listed it twice and both times has ended the auction early. He wouldn't let me see it as he was sick of the attention it drew. Close to me as well. I bought the DeSoto from Ballarat, and drove it 200km home. Ran great.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Roger........so you're in the Vic Chrysler Restorers Club?.......I've been a member of the NSW Chrysler Restorers Club since it started in the early 70's tho' apart from a few club runs when I lived in Sydney have not been to any club runs......... I upset a few guys in the 1970's when I attended a large vintage car clubs event in the Dodge and had the temerity to open the hood on the Dodge and show off the V8....the mag wheels were bad enough, the V8 gave the restorers heart failure..........lol.......little did I care......lol.........may see your car in some pics of the Rally in the Club magazine soon......andyd 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Roger........so you're in the Vic Chrysler Restorers Club?.......I've been a member of the NSW Chrysler Restorers Club since it started in the early 70's tho' apart from a few club runs when I lived in Sydney have not been to any club runs......... I upset a few guys in the 1970's when I attended a large vintage car clubs event in the Dodge and had the temerity to open the hood on the Dodge and show off the V8....the mag wheels were bad enough, the V8 gave the restorers heart failure..........lol.......little did I care......lol.........may see your car in some pics of the Rally in the Club magazine soon......andyd 

Hi Andy, I have known of you for years through Ozrodders (user name Ramp) and this Forum. I have the NSW mag with the article about you. I was talking to Editor John at Cowra 3 yrs ago and he was saying he wanted to open up the magazine to cars like yours. Glad he has. I even have a photo I took of your Brown sedan at Narrandera in the 70's. All the best, Roger.

Roger........had some good times at the Narrandera runs........after the 1st one in 1973 the stock restored engine started to leak and after a teardown I found swarf etc so that was the start of its hotrodding exploits, bought a 1962 AP3 Royal and installed everything from it........been downhill ever since........lol.........how'd you get the NSW mag with the Dodge article?.............I can sign it if you wish...........lol............tho' sometimes have trouble standing up let alone remembering my name...........lol.......regards, andyd 

7 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Roger........had some good times at the Narrandera runs........after the 1st one in 1973 the stock restored engine started to leak and after a teardown I found swarf etc so that was the start of its hotrodding exploits, bought a 1962 AP3 Royal and installed everything from it........been downhill ever since........lol.........how'd you get the NSW mag with the Dodge article?.............I can sign it if you wish...........lol............tho' sometimes have trouble standing up let alone remembering my name...........lol.......regards, andyd 

Andy, we get one copy of the mag' sent to our Club monthly, and I grabbed it. lol..I think we send one of ours to NSW as well. All the best Roger.

• 2 weeks later...

Phil......nice DeSoto......we'll soon be able to take over this forum from the Yanks...........lol........welcome aboard......Andy Douglas.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...