Rear axle bearing cups / end play

Ward Duffield

1 minute ago, Sniper said:

I wonder if that was due to higher speeds available with v8's?

I think that is the answer.

It did not have anything to do with V8's. The tech note, the best I remember, said that due to the New Interstate Highway System that sustained higher vehicle speeds were causing the heat in the axles and they elongated. This caused them to bind on the stop or rubbing block in the differential. Therefore they added more end play.  It is function of sustained speeds not engine type or size. I know we all run out flathead six's down the freeway at 65 and 70 all the time and that would have been very unlikely in the late 1940's.

James

The modern V8's certainly had an effect...caused higher attainable and longer constant high freeway speeds.

The old obsolete wimpy flatheads didn't have enough power to heat up those rear ends causing elongated axle shafts ha ha that needed up to an additional .010" clearance.

On 11/7/2021 at 11:46 PM, Dodgeb4ya said:

The modern V8's certainly had an effect...caused higher attainable and longer constant high freeway speeds.

The old obsolete wimpy flatheads didn't have enough power to heat up those rear ends causing elongated axle shafts ha ha that needed up to an additional .010" clearance.

I disagree.

It is not the engine HP it is the speed down the road for a sustained time. Case in point is my bad ring and pinion gear in the '47 Desoto. I can run it for short amounts of time here in San Francisco and it is fine. After about 10 minutes running down the freeway it heats up and starts to howl.

It is function of the cars speed. I run my flathead for hours at 65 on the freeway.