Bench or Bucket Seat

bambamshere

Does any one know of a easy swap for bench or bucket seats that would work with a 1956 Fargo 1 ton. I would prefer buckets but a nice bench is good to. My bench seat has a lot of broken springs. Trying to figure out if just getting newer seat or seats is cheaper then someone welding the springs on my bench seat.  

Thanks

As to bench seats, check the width.  I saved the second row bench seat out of my 2nd Gen Chrysler T & C for my brother, for his 31 Plymouth.  So that one is probably too narrow, but I don't know the measurement of the minivan seat now either, as I took it to him last year.  I could measure the third row seat for you (from same vehicle), but that size would be fairly common across a lot of different manufacturers.  I don't like mixing in Furd stuff, but I rode in a fellow church member's new passenger van (full size) a year or so ago, and noticed that the rear seats (buckets) had all of the shoulder belts & everything built into the seat backs.  I haven't looked at any Dodge vans, but they may be designed in the same way - good option, I would think, because those seats will already have the extra height you will probably want (as compared to seats out of a modern passenger car).

I was looking at the back of the seat today and it was tied in there not bolted. I think it was from a car because it was squished in to the truck and it is blue crashed velvet. Yes you can all laugh now. I was at a car show yesterday with the truck. 1000 vehicles 2 other Fargos both had bucket seats and both were built buy other people from the people that owned them. I asked if they had the number for the person who built them. Said they had both passed on. Oh well that is why we ask questions on here

I've got buckets out of a late 80' Mustang in mine, had to build my own seat mounts and will be removing the headrests since they get into the rear window area and look totally out of place and from the wrong era.  Space between the seats will have a cushion and fold down arm rest built in.

I will go ahead and chime in with some advice. I think bench seats look right in our trucks, plus then your sweety can sneak over for a snuggle. 

Second best look is a low back no headrest bucket like from an a-100 van. 

Here’s the thing though- to me the point of a bucket is to grab your butt so when you corner hard you don’t have to hold the  steering wheel for dear life while your passenger flies out the window or into your lap. If you are making your car handle that well you should look into some real racing buckets with side bolsters etc. 

If you just like the look of a bucket and want comfort don’t be afraid to start haunting craigslist for used luxury car leather buckets. Sometimes you can get them for a great price out of a wreck or whatever and hook up 12v for full power adjustability.

I have fiat spyder seats in my 73 swinger they look great and are comfy but I miss the bench a little. It was ragged out though so whatever.

good luck!

radar

usually there is no such thing as a quick and easy seat swap bench or bucket as the very mount of each seat is somewhat different and you have to be able to mount these properly and also be backed with an adequate backing plate beneath the floor sandwiching you hopefully good solid intact original floor between the seat and the backer...as for bucket verse bench...personal I like the split back bench in a truck with the fold down arm rest......

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

usually there is no such thing as a quick and easy seat swap bench or bucket as the very mount of each seat is somewhat different and you have to be able to mount these properly and also be backed with an adequate backing plate beneath the floor sandwiching you hopefully good solid intact original floor between the seat and the backer...as for bucket verse bench...personal I like the split back bench in a truck with the fold down arm rest......

Kind of like these? Seats press on seats go to link and scroll down. I actually like these seats. Still would have to make something for cup holder 

By the way is anything ever easy. I would be kidding you if I really thought that putting new seats in to my truck is going to be easy.

Edited by bambamshere

4 hours ago, Radarsonwheels said:

I will go ahead and chime in with some advice. I think bench seats look right in our trucks, plus then your sweety can sneak over for a snuggle. 

Second best look is a low back no headrest bucket like from an a-100 van

Here’s the thing though- to me the point of a bucket is to grab your butt so when you corner hard you don’t have to hold the  steering wheel for dear life while your passenger flies out the window or into your lap. If you are making your car handle that well you should look into some real racing buckets with side bolsters etc. 

If you just like the look of a bucket and want comfort don’t be afraid to start haunting craigslist for used luxury car leather buckets. Sometimes you can get them for a great price out of a wreck or whatever and hook up 12v for full power adjustability.

I have fiat spyder seats in my 73 swinger they look great and are comfy but I miss the bench a little. It was ragged out though so whatever.

good luck!

radar

I would like to find a way to fix the bench seat in the truck but welding the springs I think would cost a arm leg and a left nut.

6 hours ago, bambamshere said:

I would like to find a way to fix the bench seat in the truck but welding the springs I think would cost a arm leg and a left nut.

you looking to secure the seat so it doesn't move so readily?  I'd think a few tabs welded on could be used to bolt it to the bench frame.

6 hours ago, bambamshere said:

You can't weld spring steel, it will become brittle and just break again.  You can make almost anything work, but buckets are much more comfortable and allow you and the passenger to make up their own mind how they want to sit.  I have a 6 way power bucket seat from a Ford Explorer for my drivers and the regular passenger seat from the same vehicle, the mounts were actually almost exactly right, I just had to heat the one side up a bit and tweak it to sit level.  I used the centre console from a early 2000's dakota and just made a piece to go around my shifter, but if you just found a complete set from a Dakota or s-10 you likely could make it fit just fine

• Like 2

I really like the original type bench seat in my truck. I had an upholstery guy repair and replace springs as needed. Think he charged around $30 for that and retied them all to boot. I then had him over-stuff it and recover the seat. It was OK with the vinyl cover but when I got a dog I added a homemade cover using horse blankets. From a comfort standpoint it is spot on. Doesn't get all sweaty in the hot weather we have here either. Best of all you don't slide around with the horse blanket cover. It has been just perfect and the springing in it works well in an old work truck.

Jeff

• Like 1

If you want some nice bucket seats that are reasonably easy to retrofit and don't look out of place in a vintage truck, check out low back replacement Jeep CJ seats.  You can buy them brand new from the Jeep supplier places for less $ than having something else recovered.  

• Like 2

I'm not sure how many springs you have broken, there were just a couple on mine. I used 3/16 brake line, bent to the curve of the spring and enough length to extend an inch and a half or so past the break. After slipping them on, I crimped them to hold them in place. It worked fine for me.

• Like 1

I am facing the same choice myself. I can only tell you my thought process as it has evolved.

I am missing the original seat, no chance to repair it.

I recently bought and flipped a Dakota. One thing I fixed was it had a Toyota bench seat in it that did not work well in that truck.

I bought a wrecking yard Dakota seat for $100,

The old Toyota bench seat has the right look for a older truck, The head rest may need to go. It does need to be recovered. I can put a seat cover on it.

I have to set it in the cab, but afraid I may need to make some blocks to jack it up a couple inches.

So we can see, that "free" toyota seat is going to cost me money with the upholster and modifications.

And it still wont be stock.

Now I think that I will use modern buckets, will be cheaper and more comfortable, can build a console for drinks and junk.

If it wont be stock, at least be comfortable.

My other option that still considering, is to place a add and see if I could buy the parts I need to be original and have them shipped.

I have the base and the back, just not the original air ride bottom frame & springs.

So my opinion today, if not going original, at least upgrade and go comfy.

Something else I have done, measure the cab from door to door, then measure the width of the seat on my daily driver. Cab is 67", seat is 58"

So there is 4.5" on each side, and the arm rest come out from the panel to take up that space.

So the Toyota seat in my 49, there will be 3" on each side from the doors. That will work,

Your truck has a different width, you will need a tape measure to walk around the yards and figure it out.

Do not over look the depth of the seats either. I found a set of captain buckets in a pull & save in a Ford van, I had a Ford  work van and installed them.

But I already had shelves built in. The seats installed they worked perfect for me, but anyone taller they would have problems.

I am 5' 5" and the seat was all the way back, if you were 6" you would be uncomfortable driving it.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

So, I am at the point of finding seats for TODD.  I NEED to have intergral seat belts asI have no pillar to attach to, so it limits my options as to what I can use.  As much as I want to sta MoPaR, the look of the big lump/solid intergral headrest that they did doesn't do much for me.  I'm considering a GM seat out of the late 90's early 00's extended /3rd door cab as they head rest is adjustable, and MAYBE I can get an inboard arm rest as well.  The Ferd veriosn out there don't do much for me. 

Anyone else done this?  Are there options I'm not seeing?  

14 minutes ago, ggdad1951 said:

So, I am at the point of finding seats for TODD.  I NEED to have intergral seat belts asI have no pillar to attach to, so it limits my options as to what I can use.  As much as I want to sta MoPaR, the look of the big lump/solid intergral headrest that they did doesn't do much for me.  I'm considering a GM seat out of the late 90's early 00's extended /3rd door cab as they head rest is adjustable, and MAYBE I can get an inboard arm rest as well.  The Ferd veriosn out there don't do much for me. 

Anyone else done this?  Are there options I'm not seeing?  

So about 2 years ago I put buckets in to my truck. The bench seat I had in my truck was 54 inches across or just about. I found a 97 Dakota had 54 inch across bucket seats with a center console. 

16 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

if I recall, on  the Dakota...only the buckle part of the seatbelt is stationary mounted to the moving seat....the rest of the 3 point is floor, floor and lower 
B-post insert and top of B-post pivot point.

What I did was take all the moving stuff off the seat. Then I took the frame from the bench and mounted the seat to it. I had to fashion a couple brackets out of 2 inch flat bar. The center console is able to be taken out as it is a place to put stuff under the seats.   

The buckets are high back and the seat belts I used are also out of 97 Dakota the extended cab back middle seat has a 48" lap belt. I secured one to the seat and the other is attached to the truck frame/cab anchor point

Edited by bambamshere

3 hours ago, Young Ed said:

I've got a set of seats from a Sebring convertible that have integrated belts. Suggest walking the upull yard and see what looks right. 

hitting the one off 65 on Sat..wanna come along?

So you did not install 3 point shoulder harness and mix and matched front and rear...seeing as the truck never  had any belts to begin with....and as long as your anchor points are properly displaced...should work well.  I went the other way but again. this is 48 P15 and not truck, full Dakota install here...and full means full....firewall to floor and front pan where seat and console installs....contoured to meet the P15 floor and fully welded....

gallery_19_35_29552.jpg

• Thanks 1

ggdad1951, I will be interested in what you find out as I am looking at integrated belts.  I have a set of Ford seats but off the cuff I think they are too large to fit in the stock cab and leave room for driving.

I've heard about Sebring convertible seats having integrated belts and sometimes 3rd row seats from a SUV may have integrated seatbelts as well.  Been too cold here in Iowa to visit the u-pull it place, and sadly there are very few here that I know of in the NE part of Iowa(closest is ~1.5hrs away near the MN border).