Fargo Kew ‘Australia’

Help needed please. Hi all, thanks in advance for any assistant!! 

I am am new to the world of car restoration. I love the history of vintage vehicles and there are so many deserving machines out there that need love. 

I have inherited a Fargo Kew and super excited to get started. It’s a little daunting to be honest. But first of all I would love to find out a touch more about my truck. 

Im not sure what’s under the bonnet or what year it is. Sourcing parts will another challenge. Happy to admit I’m a full newbie but hoping to tap into the wealth of knowledge of this forum. 

Thanks again ?

That thing is cool!

What part of the world are you in? That would help the forum point you towards a parts supplier.

You definitely have a flathead mopar of some variety. Generally they lump into 2 main categories based on the length of the head. 23" and 25" - measuring that will help you get to the right parts. Also there is a pad on the left side of the block at the top below the head towards the front of the engine - it will have a number stamped on it of some variety - that will likely help as well.

• Like 1

From the background trees I'd say they are Gum or Eucalypt trees so I'm guessing here in Oz.....lol..........was right.......lol............the pad HRT refers to is above the welch plug, to the left of the oil filler tube.........I'd say the truck is a mid 50's UK sourced model.......whether it was actually sold as a "KEW" I am unaware of but that "KEW" term was used here in Oz to refer to any side valve six mopar engine in both cars and trucks. This was as a result of the 25" long engines being supplied from Canada, part of the British Commonwealth and subject to lower customs dutes  apparently ordered through the Kew works in the UK, note the "Kew Gardens" reference on the data plate..............this "Kew" term was only used as far as I know here in Oz and completely confuses anyone in North America so I would not use it when or if chasing parts in the USA..........here in Oz the 25" long DeSoto/Chrysler based, Canadian sourced engines are the ones that should only be referred to as being "Kew" engines as they generally had "KEW" stamped into the start of the engine number on that pad that HRT refers to.............the shorter Dodge or Plymouth USA sourced 23" long engines didn't have "KEW" in the engine number...........both engines look almost identical and unless a tape measure is placed along the length of the cylinder head to determine whether its 23 or 25 inches are almost impossible to pick.........each engine family had slightly different bore & strokes so its important to correctly determine what you have  ...........engine parts generally are the same whether used in a car or truck within each 23 or 25 " series however as your truck appears to be a fairly large one, maybe 8-10 ton or more anything else maybe quite specific to the truck lines............the Data plate says its an F125 so I'd use that as a basis to make inquiries............anyway welcome aboard...........I'm in South Grafton NSW and am happy to help if needed..........02 66 425963..........Andy Douglas       

Edited by Andydodge
  • Like 2

Just realised you had not posted on the Truck side of the Forum......I'd strongly suggest doing so as they may have info that may help............andyd

• Like 1

Help needed please. Hi all, thanks in advance for any assistant!! 

I am am new to the world of car restoration. I love the history of vintage vehicles and there are so many deserving machines out there that need love. 

I have inherited a Fargo Kew and super excited to get started. It’s a little daunting to be honest. But first of all I would love to find out a touch more about my truck

Im not sure what’s under the bonnet or what year it is. Sourcing parts will another challenge. Happy to admit I’m a full newbie but hoping to tap into the wealth of knowledge of this forum. 

Thanks again ?

7AA50893-CFA0-4E10-9292-BA2C85499CEA.jpeg

CA342A84-0B1A-445C-830F-DFA1231CAEA3.jpeg

FF14D0A2-C8AF-440A-AD81-3A90A78C6B09.jpeg

Evan.I found these two pics in Gavin Farmers book, Great Ideas In Motion, Chryslers Australian History 1946-1981........these are the only pics I can find of your type of truck which appears to have been released in Oz in 1949 and available until the mid 50's although the book is not very clear in this regard and it would seem that these trucks were the large capacity models, the smaller US sourced "Pilothouse" models were the 1/2 ton and upwards till the mid 50's .......I dunno if any of this helps or confuses the issue........lol.........andyd 

img023.jpg

This is a couple of pics of the same type of truck, these were sold in Oz from 1949/1950 till I think the mid 50's and were available with both Dodge and Fargo badging bodies were apparently made by the Briggs Motor Bodies Co in the UK and were the Chrysler Australia large truck range...........andyd  

img023.jpg

From what I read some where, maybe on the AllPar site.  The Kew works imported what were know as knock downs.. Parts escaped taxes placed on assembled vehicles.  The knock downs were then assembled into complete vehicles the move on to sellers in Britain or other Commonwealth markets. So Chrysler save taxes in England, and then England taxed the exports...  Sounds like the beginnings of that taxation without representation that caused problems in the late 1700's. 

Greg.........lol...........you could be right, tho' as I understand it, the reasoning was that the Commonwealth countries would give each other concessions on the duties and taxes for exports/imports between each other and the US and/or Canadian orders would garner a better rate if done thru the Limeys/Kippers/Poms in Kew..........tho' Chrysler Australia has gone up the proverbial getting the true facts would be nigh on impossible and the Gavin Farmer Book that I reference is full of inaccuracies  or at the very least, poor research.............lol..........andyd 

Edited by Andydodge

Hi all,

Here is some production data. These Kew trucks made in Kew England and then imported to Australia. I am not sure if they were complete or knock down form.

I never had a lot of info on this series of trucks but I will have a look through some of my old hard drives and see what I can find. Unless it was too lost in the crash of 2011.

Tony 

P1.jpg

P2.jpg

P3.jpg

P4.jpg

P5.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 1:13 AM, Radarsonwheels said:

Awesome truck! Do you have a plan or vision for what you want out of it? 

Yes definitely! Hard to explain in writing. But I’m a purest and want to keep as much as I can original. Bagged with a timber shortbed tray. I love the patina so will be sealing it. Also interested to hear about what products people have used for this :)

Edited by Evan and the Fargo Kew