Vehicle History?

edrendek7777

Afternoon all.  I was wondering if there was any way to research your vehicle history by the VIN or some other way?  Having 2 1950 Plymouths I was wanting to look into ownership history, production details, etc...  Reason is I have had a few people contact me about my 4 door for sale and said "man my dad had that exact same car".  Not that I think that any of them actually had my car, but it would be nice to see where the cars have been in their lives.  Not sure if there is any way to do this but figured I would ask.  Thanks in advance. 

Ed

I hope not ... This is America, hope we have some privacy and private citizens have no access to this info.

you go out in the real world, I would not want that info public.

I have nothing to hide, I would just prefer that I volunteer the info to a data base, rather then it be publicly available.

• Like 1

I was going through my Plymouth Bz Cp...found a document that listed the previous owner to the guy I got it from....hey good deal, look him up, give him a call right......wrong, while I got the right guy, right number, wrong week, he had just passed and the family was not happy with my asking about him much less the car.   

My truck title has the name of previous owner on it. Shows the name of the dealership it was bought from in the 1970's

But he died years ago, then the son had the truck and then sold it to the guy I bought it from.

Nobody bothered to switch the title to their name except me.

The lady who switched the title for me, was kind enough to make a copy of the original title from the 70's for my records.

16 hours ago, Los_Control said:

I hope not ... This is America, hope we have some privacy and private citizens have no access to this info.

you go out in the real world, I would not want that info public.

I have nothing to hide, I would just prefer that I volunteer the info to a data base, rather then it be publicly available.

In my state you can search about any counties court documents and find tax information on cars because it's public information. But you have to know the person name, can't search by car. 

Edited by dhrandy

12 hours ago, Conn47D24 said:

The Chrysler museum was closed a few years ago by Fiat. 

About 10 years ago I wrote and obtained a copy of the "built card"

Shows the dealer that sold it, and option package, color etc. 

Very cool to have.

I've heard they are still providing build cards. They are no longer charging but also aren't providing all the additional details like they used to. 

• Like 1

It is a fact that in 2019 our privacy is under attack. Personal data is a commodity that has value to those who can figure out how to sell it. Usually it's not the person who is the subject of the data who profits from it.

That said,

I've come to the conclusion that I do not own my cars. I only have stewardship of them. I am only a small part of their history because with care they will out live me. Once I made that leap, I started taking even better care of them! Some day somebody's going to know and I don't want to leave behind an embarrassing legacy. It's kind of like "Do the right thing even if you think nobody is looking." Everyone is proud of a clean shiny car. Sometimes it takes real courage to keep an original, original. There's a sign on the wall at the Harley-Davidson Museum that explains this: "You will see within these walls vehicles which are not as presentable as you'd expect. These have been determined by the curators  to be originals. A vehicle can be restored many times but an original is an original only once."

Edited by Loren
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1