woodgrain paint colors for 49 p18

lwebb

Sorry, I  know I've seen this here before. I even thought I'd bookmarked the post but after a couple of days searching I sure can't find it.

My recollection is someone posted the original colors used in the woodgrain on the 49 p18. I can likely scan the base coat but does anybody know what color or colors were used on the graining? My dash is in great shape but the window trim is shot from years of sweaty arms so I'm trying to get as close as possible to the dash. 

I'm determined to do this myself, not use the dip or other methods. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

contact the company called grain-it. They have the base colors and proper plates to do the home version of wood graining. I have done it and it is very simple process.  The kit is not cheap but cheaper that having it done by a professional at approx. 2500 for a dash is and maybe more.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

the base is very important and it is a caramel color  to be found inside the glove box door . After that has dried,

use a dark walnut oil based wood stain  or better still, find a printing company that will let you have some dark brown ink  ( comes as a paste)

after you are satisfied with your graining let it dry for about a week then apply a clear enamel.   Spray bomb paints will work  but the ink or stain is not truly compatible so do not lay it on too wet or you will get  "lift off:

19 hours ago, lwebb said:

Thanks Rich, yeah, I know the grain-it company. A good bit out of my price range. I wonder if they just sell the paint?

Yes they sell the paint and also all of the tools. They sell a do it yourself kit. You will need the specific grain plate and the rubber roller to transfer the grain to your dash.  You can use any rattle can spray paint that is close to your base coat. Then you roll the grain onto the dah. Let it dry. Then spray a clear coat on top of the grain. Then you use the regular wood stain that you can get at home depot and then wipe this on the dash.  One coat might get the dark color of a contrast that you want. If not then let it dry then spray another clear coat. If you want a depper color then wipe on another coating let it dry and then clear coat again.

Some people use a high shine clear coat and some people like the stain clear coat. I have been told that chrylser used more of a satin finish but I am not an expert.  I have the home version of the grain it kit and it is a simple process.  Just experiment. remember that graining is not a perfect job. As wood grain when wood is pieced together the grains do not always match up. That is the buety of grining it just haS TO LOOK LIKE IS WAS REAL WOOD.

Call me and I will explain the entire process to you.  The grain it guy did a presentation at the AACA annual convention with his home owners kits. He asked if anyone one would like to try and I steped up. After graing a piece of trim that he gave me he asked if I had ever done this before and I stated NO. I was able to duplicate what he had just done and he asked if I would go to Florida with him to work in his shop.  Also more to this story.

Rich Hartung

Cell 484-431-8157  Home 610-630-9188

Thanks Rich, I've seen the process and it looks simple. Tedious but doable.Ive done faux wood grain before on other things but the grain pattern didn't have to look like anything specific. I wasn't trying to match any particular wood pattern. MY wood grain is in perfect shape except for the bottom of the front two windows. I just cant justify spending a lot of money on equipment for just those two relatively small areas.

I  have a wonderful auto paint store here that can shoot the inside of the glove box for a color match and put it in a rattle can. I'll play with a few wood stains on that and go for it. I'll post pictures if I get anything decent.

Thanks for the advice.

I have another relatively simple paint question and don't need a long discussion. Do you mindu a PM?

I’ve got just about the perfect colors and method ( with airbrush) but it is at my office which I may not get to tomorrow but will try and post by Friday. Below is that I did ( from bare metal) in the foreground and a spare original in the background 

AECFE7F3-7D13-468B-8C71-C46C3C59BD4B.jpeg

EF4FB08E-1FEA-40FE-BF91-912A125BDB1F.jpeg

I found all but what the base color is while looking back at old phone pics. 

After base color airbrush Detail Burnt Umber in lines and immediately dry brush. In order to dry brush you will need to have thinned/preped your airbrush paint with a mixture containing some glycerin (as a retardant  which buys you some time to do texturing with the dry brush). This goes for anytime I refer to brushing. 

Second color is Detail Black mixed with some violet. This should also be thinned with the glycerin thinner and applied with an airbrush splatter technique AND brushed  in one direction 

3rd color is lines of detail burnt orange brushed and then misted/filled 

4th color is Sepia fill/ mist as needed and add some lines brushed

5th color transparent brown oxide mist to darken as desired 

6th color (not sure I used this) brown red lines brushed

The above was from my test ( I suggest you do a test on some Sheetmetal or sign blank). I’m sure I modified here and there but it is art so give it a try keeping notes and then go for it. Do the dash and interior window surround at the same time and keep the lines consistent over the glovebox door. Here are some pics of my test piece as I did it.( I don’t know how to keep the pics in any order )

2k clear after. 

65CBC739-7377-48B2-A7E0-F6A0D53CF91F.jpeg

CFBF9F79-89BD-47F1-8C23-E9C3FF86E5B2.jpeg

C57B36D9-9CAC-4736-80E7-B0FEB960E9B4.jpeg

A1C7ACB8-4C49-4AC3-BC8D-F64C3EE8EFE3.jpeg

774FFF70-C44A-4742-851B-613AF2D6CB66.jpeg

Hope this helps. Base color is important. For my test, I mixed my own colors to match the backside of the glovebox door, but then I found a spray can that was closer in color, faster and more convenient. I’ll post color by Friday 

78A0484F-AFD3-431D-8906-409C7977749A.jpeg

Wow, these are great. I've made copies of your photos for future reference. Where did you get the colors? I tried enlarging the picture but I can't read the company's name?

Did they make the spray paint as well?

Thanks for these they are amazing documentation of your process.

You The airbrush paints were a combination of Createx and Golden .... whatever I had fro previous projects or found at my local art supply store. This place is a great source for materials and equipment-  http://www.coastairbrush.com/

They also have great instructions and classes - I have no affiliation 

also, I had bought a wood grain stencil but found that with this method (and due to the size/length, freehand worked better for me. Just keep the distance between the airbrush and your work close (for most colors) so that the lines are a bit crisper. PRACTICE. I’m no pro (probably used the airbrush less than 10 times) and I did 1 day of practice varying the colors and technique until I had a feel for it, then doing the actual project (dash with glovebox door and interior windshield frame took another long day ( after the dash was stripped, primed and painted with the base color)

Edited by JSabah

• 2 months later...