D-24 coupe rear armrests

MikeS

Putting 47 D-24 back together and have several interior questions:

What is everyone using for the waterproof membrane inside door cards?

What is the correct orientation (skinny end front or rear) for rear armrests?

Is the thin metal backing plate the only thing that keeps the armrests from pulling through the cards?

Thanks in advance!

We have a '48 D24 4dr sedan.  For the waterproof membrane behind the door panels, I just used some unused plastic drop cloth that we had copious amounts of at the time.  Got it at Home Depot, but I imagine anyplace that sells house paint would have it, and probably less expensive than purpose-made membrane.  The door armrests are screwed directly into the door, through the door panel, there aren't any backing plates on our car.  Alas, it's been so long since I upholstered our car that I don't recall exactly how the rear passenger armrests are attached behind the doors.  Probably different on your coupe, but there is only one way those rear passenger armrests will go in on the sedan, they're kind of trapezoidal in shape, no skinny end per se.  If you don't get a definite answer after a while I'll post a photo of the sedan's rear armrests, may or may not help.  

Took the door panels off of a friend's '48 D24 sedan parts car yesterday, that one did not have any backing plates, either.  The panels had never been off the car.  Below is the passenger side rear armrest in our sedan, it does have a "more tapered" end that goes towards the front.  Although it's a sedan, I hope this helps.

DSC_0002.JPG.99132ff22d864a88f1524e3102940733.JPG