Proper leaf spring dimensions

Jakub

Hello;

I've just removed body and now will be working on mechanics. Already removed rear end, and the leaf springs seems to be a little flat - car was probably lowered by one of previous owners, or the leafs are simply worn. For sure - they need re-arching. But, I don't know how much should they be re-arched, and, I suppose, truck shop would also don't have any reference for a 70 years old car from another part of globe.

So, what should be free lenght (direct, flat measurment from one eye to another) & arch height? Maybe someone has a good source of such information - I looked in service manual, but there are no dimensions. I would be very grateful if someone could measure it. 

Car is 1948 P15 Convertible, but I suppose that dimensions should be the same for all models, only varying number of leafs.

Also - any source for leaf spring covers? In my car I have them only on right spring, while left is naked.

Just a thought,

https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/

Maybe a call to this company and see if they are willing to be of help to you because of your location and cost involved.

On this forum several member have said the products were very good and accurate.

Lone the P-15's up to the P-20"s. Must be very rare in your country!

DJ

Thank You, I've just send an e-mail to them asking about proper arch height. Maybe they would help.

I just made a phone call in your behalf to EatonDetroit Springs and the man stated that the center to center of eye to eye parallel to the bottom of the springs has a unladen pre-arch of 8 1/2 inches....hope this is of help to you...you can gauge your loss and see if a company local to you can re-arch which may be a process that is not a long term benefit unless the company also set the temper back into the metal

I also inquired of cost for new springs from them for your car and you can PM me for that information if you wish....I cannot give shipping quote with that....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 2

Thank You, it's a BIG help!

I'll try to re - arch the springs locally - I've found a truck repair company, already talked with them; I'm not sure about tempering, but still - better than nothing at all.

I've also talked with Eaton about  price of new leaf springs - probably I'll have to buy new ones in future, if the old ones go down too much, but at first I'll try to finish the restoration & drive a little. (Already re - arched springs in my Volga - one side was lower than another; they went down a little after ~~ 5 000 km, but car is still horizontal and much higher than before re - arching).

One more thing: What would You recommend for lubrication of  leaf springs? Graphite grease? Copper or plastic insulators?

Edited by Jakub