Radio restoration source

pflaming

I talked with him this morning.

1415 South 4th Street

Oceano, CA 93445

(805) 489-8200

Radio restoration. Example: 53 Plymouth stock radio restored to AM / FM and four extra speaker outlets. Push buttons etc.  cost $450 plus parts tax

I did not ask. You have his number, he will need to know which, chrome, porcelain, plastic, etc.  Oceano is a very high rent area so I suspect he has some high end customers. Good luck. 

• 2 weeks later...

I restored the one in the 48 P15 Special Deluxe I owned about 30 years ago, and I'm planning on doing the one that I bought for my '47 Business Coupe.  Parts are generally available from various sources.  Mostly, the paper capacitors need to be replaced with either Mylar or Polypropylene capacitors (the old ones get leaky and/or develop internal shorts), out of tolerance resistors need to be replaced, and the vibrator may also need to be replaced.  Depending on the condition of the speaker, it may need to be re-coned.  Tubes, if replacements are needed, are easy to get.

Edited by hi_volt

4 minutes ago, hi_volt said:

I restored the one in the 48 P15 Special Deluxe I owned about 30 years ago, and I'm planning on doing the one that I bought for my '47 Business Coupe.  Parts are generally available from various sources.  Mostly, the paper capacitors need to be replaced with either Mylar or Polypropylene capacitors (the old ones get leaky and/or develop internal shorts), out of tolerance resistors need to be replaced, and the vibrator may also need to be replaced.  Depending on the condition of the speaker, it may need to be re-coned.  Tubes, if replacements are needed, are easy to get.

Many years ago,  (many, many years) I had a good friend that took all the tubes from my radio, broke the glass, removed the guts and soldered in the solid state components needed to replicate the functions of the tube.

Sure wish he was still with us, d(U*d Cancer!