6 volt top motors

Nomad50

I have a '47 Desoto Custom convertible. I have converted to 12 volts. Can I use the original 6 volt top motors if I take it easy a short bit at a time? Or do I have to go to the expense of rewinding the motors? I might take the top down three times a year.

I don't know a whole lot about the motors for the top, I believe a standard DC motor will run with the voltage applied to it. Since your re-wired to 12 volts on the car, the 6v motors may work if done sparingly, but I believe they will run faster. I don't know what effect this will have on the motor. it may burn it out or wear it out faster. 

Now that being said, I see 3 possible options.

1. Replace the 6v motors with 12v motors. Just have to look around and find the right ones/type.

2. Rewind the motors for 12v operations. Time consuming and or expensive.

3. Find a small 6v battery (it doesn't have to be a car battery a NiCad or lithium rechargeable will do) and wire it into the motors with wiring going to the switch making it a separate system from the rest of the car. Cheaper and easier than finding the 12v motors or rewiring the old ones.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QGVW3K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 This batter is for my rechargeable hand held bijillion watt candle power searchlight, but is also used for kids cars that they ride on. Should power the 6v motor for the top just fine.

Joe Lee

The DeSoto top motor and screw drive.....

Top Motor assm C39 (5).JPG

Conv Top Worm Drive Motor Assembly 1941-8 Chry Dod Desoto (13).JPG

How about either one voltage drop 12v. to 6v. voltage drop using two 100 watt 1 ohm resistors wired in series or maybe two of these setups -one for each motor.

A schematic on this was posted a while back but unable to locate. It is very easy to do and cheap.  2 of these resistors cost less than $10.

Someone on the forum posted a nicely draw schematic, so if interested in this maybe they will post it again.?  Found it!

DJ

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (5).png

Edited by DJ194950
add picture, (2)schematic

Those are very hard to find motor assemblies.

Interesting to see they are all mechanical and no hydraulics. Now a days they are called linear actuators. You can probably easily find modern 12 volt linear actuators with the same stroke, so that might be an option for you.

Additionally the motors are probably wired in parallel from the factory so another option to try might be to wire the two motors in series. Given they are the same motor each will drop 1/2 of 12 volts or 6 volts. That means they will run at the original speed.  The drawback is more current draw and if one motor stops working due to an electrical open, the other one won't run either.