Looking for A833 Transmission installation photos

Fargone

I've looked through all the images in our library and didn't see any photos of an A833 transmission actually installed in a 1950s Dodge 1/2 ton pickup (mine's a 51 Fargo).  I'm hoping someone actually has some pictures of task while it's being done.  I'm to the point in my build where I'm doing this install and I've run into a couple of issues and I'd like to see how others dealt with them before I start cutting and grinding. The first problem I've encountered is the cross member just below the seat has to be modified (cut out and boxed a bit).  The second problem is the shifter position is quite far back and I assume I'll have to custom make a shifter lever and mod the interior floor and the bench seat a tad...  I suspected I'd have to do these changes I'd just like to see how others did it.  I do have the excellent Aok adapter plate so I am ready to get this done, just a little cautious (chicken).  

IMG_1787a.jpg

If you look up my turkey truck 47 Dodge build thread you can see how I handled the same frame issue. I have a T5 in mine but I also had to enlarge that hump in the frame cross member

5 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

Since that cross member unbolts and comes out, you could remove it for the modifications. Then you could install the trans without the cross member in place, with some support under as needed, and test fit things as you modify.

I looked at that and it seems like a good idea. I might be able to slide the cross member back 2-3 inches and the whole issue goes away. Of course that means pulling the cab again, but hey it's only 4 bolts and I need the cab off for some other tasks as well. Thanks for your input.

15 hours ago, Young Ed said:

If you look up my turkey truck 47 Dodge build thread you can see how I handled the same frame issue. I have a T5 in mine but I also had to enlarge that hump in the frame cross member

Thanks I'll take a look.

I used the OEM shift lever, but spliced in a section of 1/2" rod to lengthen it. It also required some heating and bending to get it to the right shape. For the floorboard, it required a small hole to be cut at the corner of the existing plate. I guestimated on size and cut it a little too big.

image.png.740fb314c11ab961a734295de07033fa.png

image.png.5e38a2cbd68bd1490700a8006b10ac0b.png

Here's the attached picture pre-installation. Ignore the linkage. I had to get creative to fit aftermarket linkage arms to an OEM shifter and transmission. 1-2 and 3-4 are backwards (1-2 is on the right side of the H). 

image.png.1ee6251d085f5538ed6c8677b282049c.png

• Thanks 1

On 8/22/2019 at 5:31 AM, 55 Fargo said:

Have you bolted up the A833 yet?

Does the bearing retainer fit with your truck bell?

Or have you not mocked it up yet?

Yep, I bolted her up yesterday a bit of task though. The Aok adapter plate has very tight tolerances and to get her in the last 1/2" was hard work. For my first test fit I did not have the throw out bearing installed. I know I will have the tranny out a couple more times before final install.

16 hours ago, nkeiser said:

I used the OEM shift lever, but spliced in a section of 1/2" rod to lengthen it. It also required some heating and bending to get it to the right shape. For the floorboard, it required a small hole to be cut at the corner of the existing plate. I guestimated on size and cut it a little too big.

image.png.740fb314c11ab961a734295de07033fa.png

image.png.5e38a2cbd68bd1490700a8006b10ac0b.png

Here's the attached picture pre-installation. Ignore the linkage. I had to get creative to fit aftermarket linkage arms to an OEM shifter and transmission. 1-2 and 3-4 are backwards (1-2 is on the right side of the H). 

image.png.1ee6251d085f5538ed6c8677b282049c.png

It looks like this tranny swap is getting more complex the shifter location causes serious problems for the cross member and fuel tank. It looks like my fancy new tank can't go in the factory position and cross member will require a more creative redesign than I anticipated.  Adding to the complexity is the floor mods I'm going to need to do the dang shifter needs to come up through the seat base structure. It's almost like I have the wrong tail shaft on this tranny my shifter position is further back than yours.

there are different tail shafts for positioning of the shifter mechanism...just as there are good and not so good factory shifters.....as much as I like the A833 it is not the better transmission for some ventures.  I have one here and I do not see using it when the later 5 speeds provide more bang for the buck....do not look to Dodge for just the tranny...bell and tranny is one...Jeep, another source for the later that is split at the bell...I retrofit modern but use the engine and all modern electronics when I do the swap.  I buy older bodies without drivetrains...therefore...dropping in a modern creates no heartburn with me. 

7 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

there are different tail shafts for positioning of the shifter mechanism...just as there are good and not so good factory shifters.....as much as I like the A833 it is not the better transmission for some ventures.  I have one here and I do not see using it when the later 5 speeds provide more bang for the buck....do not look to Dodge for just the tranny...bell and tranny is one...Jeep, another source for the later that is split at the bell...I retrofit modern but use the engine and all modern electronics when I do the swap.  I buy older bodies without drivetrains...therefore...dropping in a modern creates no heartburn with me. 

I can see what you're saying but I'm financially invested in these components now and just have to work with them.....

I understand your position and know a lot of hype has been added about this transmission and in reality I would not do a retro to a flattie and would think seriously about transplanting this V8 with A833 into anything without first a complete teardown of the A833 and inspect the one integral bush for egging....notorious for this action and while it can be repaired...I read of only one company so far that entertains these repairs as a special jig is needed to do the machining.   Other than the one integral bush the aluminum "A" is a smooth unit.  You will be wise to get a Hurst shifter over that of the Inland if so equipped also...

• Like 1

My pickup doesn't have the same crossmember that your's does, so I didn't have that issue. There were lots of other "opportunities" along the way though. The transmission mounting bolts are 9/16", so I had to modify the adapter plate and find some place that had 9/16 bolts. I had to order a bronze bushing to account for the input shaft and throw out bearing diameter differences https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IG7PONW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1  I mentioned the linkage issue, but that could have been solved if I would have found OEM linkage instead of after market. All of the information and websites that have parts for Hurst shifters cater to after market and don't deal with OEM which of course are all unique.

I enjoy fabrication, so I had fun tweaking the shifter to fit. It still needs some work as it has a little slop and can be a knuckle buster going to third.

image.png.7975660427281b9d3611ff17d9bf5960.pngimage.png.edb1ffd0342bcdbf598ca5ac47fdb092.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Which later 5 spds?

Pretty darn hard to beat a robust A833 Chrysler built trans.

Cars and trucks have different tailshafts yes, but shifter location is on 2 different boss mounts.

The 1 closer to the tailshaft for vans is one configuration.

Tim I dont believe Fargone is overly interested in Jeep electronics, 5 spds and/or V6 and V8 conversions 

I will include T5 conversions too...lol

The overdrive and gear spread on the A833 will do well with 3.73 rear gears.

Great for a 3.08 1st and the .71 and .73 overdrive gears.

And you know what Tim its a Mopar trans for a Mopar engine and truck...

16 minutes ago, nkeiser said:

My pickup doesn't have the same crossmember that your's does, so I didn't have that issue. There were lots of other "opportunities" along the way though. The transmission mounting bolts are 9/16", so I had to modify the adapter plate and find some place that had 9/16 bolts. I had to order a bronze bushing to account for the input shaft and throw out bearing diameter differences https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IG7PONW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1  I mentioned the linkage issue, but that could have been solved if I would have found OEM linkage instead of after market. All of the information and websites that have parts for Hurst shifters cater to after market and don't deal with OEM which of course are all unique.

I enjoy fabrication, so I had fun tweaking the shifter to fit. It still needs some work as it has a little slop and can be a knuckle buster going to third.

image.png.7975660427281b9d3611ff17d9bf5960.pngimage.png.edb1ffd0342bcdbf598ca5ac47fdb092.png

Looks great 

and the Jeep is not a Mopar...?   and I was very clear I do upgrades to V engines....and that I would not do a flattie A833  that is about as simple as anyone can make a statement...again, this is my preference and not pushing anything on anyone...but to mention there are still other MOPAR options....again the A833 is a robust unit WHEN right....they have issues....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

6 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

and the Jeep is not a Mopar...?   you don't have to reply....

From which year of Jeeps Tim.

Willys, AMC or The Chrysler Corp...lol

Can you make a suggestion for a contemporary Jeep 5spd trans to adapt to the flattie? I haven't seen any to date but am curious.

Willys and AMC are not in my opinion true Mopar...they are a stepchild at best and fall under the orphan umbrella of Mopar....If one is interested in the later transmission they will also do the research...but the Jeep NV3500 is per all documentation, bolted at the bell...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

11 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Willys and AMC are not in my opinion true Mopar...they are a stepchild at best and fall under the orphan umbrella of Mopar....If one is interested in the later transmission they will also do the research...but the NV3500 is per all documentation, bolted at the bell...

Care to start a thread on the NV3500 trans conversion to Chyrsler flattie?

Have not seen any documentation on this conversion on here or elsewhere that I recall.

Have you seen this swap completed by anyone on your locale and travels?

I think I stated earlier that I would not do a conversion to a flattie....I have little to zero use for the flathead six...again..it is a good engine, the transmissions and such that come with them are robust and will do the job.  I would change rear ratio...I have at this time only three cars that will retain the flathead....as they are running puppies and in decent shape.  I do not normally buy an old Mopar with the flattie still in the car as I continue to state over and over that I have no use for them.   

6 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I think I stated earlier that I would not do a conversion to a flattie....I have little to zero use for the flathead six...again..it is a good engine, the transmissions and such that come with them are robust and will do the job.  I would change rear ratio...I have at this time only three cars that will retain the flathead....as they are running puppies and in decent shape.  I do not normally buy an old Mopar with the flattie still in the car as I continue to state over and over that I have no use for them.   

I see so your NV 3500 would be with a V6 or V8 then not a flattie?

Kool, just wondering why you mentioned other 5 spds to a flattie swap.

Everyone and there dog at shows and meets has a SBC under the hood, now I will say not so many Mopar V6 or V8s in comparison , they are about as boring as it gets. Old flatheads, are far more in the Kool factor over a V6 hands down...lol mind you just my opinion.

Im not adding anymore garble on this, sorry Fargone back to your topic.

On 8/23/2019 at 5:41 PM, nkeiser said:

It's funny your shifter looks just like the one I got from 1950 Fargo 1 ton. Mine will look very much like yours I'm sure. It will likely be a little shorter than yours maybe 6" or so. I love the shifter knob!

On 8/23/2019 at 5:08 PM, 55 Fargo said:

Care to start a thread on the NV3500 trans conversion to Chyrsler flattie?

Have not seen any documentation on this conversion on here or elsewhere that I recall.

Have you seen this swap completed by anyone on your locale and travels?

Please do not beat on that 'ol horse anymore...shes getting tired.

If you want photos of a late 5-speed swap, look at my web pages. The AX15 and NV series will both require similar install.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, wayfarer said:

Please do not beat on that 'ol horse anymore...shes getting tired.

If you want photos of a late 5-speed swap, look at my web pages. The AX15 and NV series will both require similar install.

Swap to what a Chyrsler Flathead 6?

I'll have a look.

Well in all honesty Plymouthy Adams included other transmission options in this thread, not me.

I just as well preferred he kept it to thread trans topic.

But I gather you or Plymmy have never done the A833 swap to flathead 6?