Flywheel help needed.

blackp7coupe

Hey guys, I have a P-15 coupe with no motor. A friend will give me one out of '55 Dodge, but there is no flywheel or clutch, etc. The engine has 8 bolt pattern on the crank. So I am need of a flywheel. Can someone point me in the direction of what year Dodge or Plymouth flywheel will work (?).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Do you have a flywheel ,bell housing, clutch, transmission from the p-15?

You should be able to use a 4 or 6 bolt flywheel on that 8 holed crankshaft but whatever flywheel you find needs to fit the bellhousing type.  The flywheel would be easiest to fit will be the 8 bolt because of the depth for starter gear engagement. Others have modified the starter mounting surface by having it milled down.

Look around for what you can find and advise here.

DJ

Ok.

You can use any bolt number flywheel previous to 1956?  I believe that was the year that they changed to a different number of starter ring gear teeth.

Don where are you??

Don did a very complete write up on the flywheel changes, modification required when using a 4 or 6 bolt flywheel on a 8 bolt cranks. Also many good pictures with his write up.

Starter will be a search but come up often on EBay and other sales web sites. Are you staying 6 volt?.What you want is a  starter that is  very common as they were used on many years and Mopar brands used the same parts. Be aware that myself and many others have used 6 volt starters on 12 volt changeovers without problem. You do Not want one with the older car/truck foot pedal activator setup.

like this but cheaper for sure!

1949-1955 Dodge Plymouth Starter Restored 6 VOLT Prestolite MCH6101 (Fits: 1950 Dodge) 

EBay search

Can someone better at finding Don's write up in a forum search help out?? Thanks!

DJ

Edited by DJ194950

Don's Photobucket T-5 Album: HERE

Maybe you can gleam what is needed off of his picture album. I looked for few minutes and didn't find any specific thread, but I do know my car has a 4 bolt flywheel on an 8 bolt crank - and to make the whole shebang work, 3/8" was shaved off the starter mounting area on the bell housing.

• Thanks 1

On both the crankshaft and the flywheel be them 4-6-or 8 bolt one hole is drilled slightly "off" of the others. So the flywheel will only bolt on one way. It may take a few tries to find the right combination.

Once you find the right combination mark them as pictured below.

es5.jpg

The flywheel issue is related to the crankshaft. The Plymouth 23" 201-208-218 does indeed use a flywheel that is different from all others due to the amount of flange projection as measured from the block. The magic number is 0.185" shorter than a 230 for example.

Flywheel ring gear tooth count changed for the 1957 model year from 146 to 172.  I have seen/found the 146 used in later L6 installations however.

Flywheels bolt patterns used 4, 6 and 8 bolts all on the same bolt circle so all will fit on an 8-bolt crank.

• Thanks 1

So it looks like the challenge is finding the right combination of flywheel, starter, and bellhousing so that the starter and ring gear mesh. Am I understanding properly that the flange on the end of the Dodge (230) crankshaft is thicker/longer than on the 201-218 engine? Is this the 0.185 " mentioned above? This would move the flywheel back and not allow the gear on the starter drive to engage the ring gear properly?

2 hours ago, blackp7coupe said:

So it looks like the challenge is finding the right combination of flywheel, starter, and bellhousing so that the starter and ring gear mesh. Am I understanding properly that the flange on the end of the Dodge (230) crankshaft is thicker/longer than on the 201-218 engine? Is this the 0.185 " mentioned above? This would move the flywheel back and not allow the gear on the starter drive to engage the ring gear properly?

This was my fix. Desoto engine, P-15 flywheel and bell housing. Careful measuring. 

Bell-starter_1.jpg

Looking at a Hollander Interchange, 1946-56, it looks like a lot of Mopar 1946-54 flywheel's will interchange. I'd guess that mostly 230's but there are exceptions. They will have different pressure plate mounting holes for clutch size. Post a classified for 230 flywheel, a 48-51 Dodge 1/2 ton truck is listed as an interchange. You will need to get the correct flywheel bolts and nuts if you can.       Measure the diameter of your pressure plate holes and try to find a flywheel with the same pattern. I'd stay with the original 9 1/4 or 10" clutch. A lot of starters will fit. It also seems to depend on the 55 engine numbers, truck or car. That's what the Hollander states. If you have car shows in your area, I'd visit with the owners of older Mopar cars. If it's been Butchered and  has a V-8, the original engine and transmission might still be around their shop. But a Purist might have a cache of parts that they could help you with. And they might have more experience and parts, with what you are needing.

On 8/21/2019 at 3:57 PM, blackp7coupe said:

Not exactly.

If you stay clear of the mentioned Plymouth wheels then there will be no issues with starter-flywheel-bellhousings. Because the crank flange is 'shorter',  using a 218 wheel on a 230 crank will set the ring gear deeper into the bell and thus require the machine work Don shows in the photo for the starter to properly engage..

The face of the small Plymouth crank flange sits right at 1.00" from the face of the block. All other L6 and V8, prior to 1962 (except for the slant-6) measure 1.185". These numbers will vary slightly due to the clearance on the thrust main and whether the crank is then positioned fore, aft, or somewhere in between when measured.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...