A new ‘49 Plymouth in the neighborhood

Tim Larson

Story time.

I had found a 1949 Plymouth Special Deluxe on Craigslist about 5 hours south of me and had been going back and forth with the seller asking questions and then was bugging a neighbor about going to look at it and him buying it since he was wanting a 40s era car. 

Well, long story short we did drive down to look at it on Friday and the purchase was made. I was the lucky one to drive it all the way home 6+ hours on back roads from Iowa to central MN. 333 miles with not one iota of trouble. The seller took great care in making sure what needed fixing was taken care of and knowing this in advance of driving down there I was confident it would make the trip. 

Here’s the kicker - the sale price was only $3750!!!!

The following had been done:

Complete brake overhaul

Tailpipe replaced.

Fuel tank thoroughly cleaned, fuel pump replaced, and carburetor rebuilt.

New plugs, wires, and distributor serviced and all necessary parts replaced.

Recent oil change.

Air cleaner and breather cap serviced.

Generator rebuilt/serviced as it had been squealing.

New water pump - he thought that’s where the whining was coming from, but it ended up being the generator.

New 160 degree thermostat. 

The car has an overdrive transmission, but that is not currently working - probably needs a new solenoid, he just hadn’t chosen to replace that.

One of the plugs in the block was leaking coolant so that was replaced. 

Driver’s side rear hub serviced since a couple of the bolt threads were stripped - it is now right hand thread. Only the front driver side is left hand thread. 

Radio rebuilt.

Bulls-eye head lights! - I was not aware of these. Still 6 volt system, but lights were awesome after dark!

New shocks.

5 seat belts installed.

New seals included with the car for trunk, windshield, and rear window - they are not installed yet. 

New cowel vent gasket. 

If I’m missing anything it’s not major. The interior is original, but the seats are in excellent condition for being 70 years old. The floor mat could use replacing and the headliner has some wear. 

The best part of the whole deal was that I got to drive the car home. I’m 30 years old so driving something of this age for that long was absolutely wonderful. I’m have a “52 Mercury since 2006 so I am very familiar with a three speed with overdrive. The seller was impressed with my ability to drive a three speed. He is in his late 60s and has owned sever ‘49 Plymouths so that was a compliment. 

That’s about it! The car is super and I got plenty of waves and thumbs ups on the way home. With the way this engine ran for that long of a trip it almost has to have been rebuilt at some point in its life. The odometer says 26000 now, but the car likely has 126000. The current paint job is the third color you can see on various areas. 

I only wish I could have bought it. For the price and work that was done the seller practically gave it away!! He had paid 3500 and 700 to have it shipped from Kansas City to Iowa - In that alone he lost money!

This was one of the best deals ever - unless something goes drastically wrong.

Now I need to teach my 61 year old neighbor to drive a three speed. 

I’ll share photos as I am able. Just thought everyone would enjoy another Plymouth story. 

• Like 2

NIce car..........sounds like your neighbours had a win......welcome aboard from Oz...pics, we love more pics..............andyd. 

• Like 1

Nice car. Good deal. Old 4 door sedans are fun cars and are to be had at very attractive prices. They don’t have the 2 door cool factor that many want. However if you just love old cars, working on them, driving, and maintaining them, sedans fit the bill nicely. Especially if you like to keep your hobby expenses in check. 

• Like 1