1947 1-1/2 Ton won't turn over

nyczoo

Picked up a 1947 1-1/2T Dodge flatbed truck.

It was driven to where it was parked 15 years ago.

Motor not seized.

Changed radiator fluid and put in new oil and a new battery.

Heater fan runs.

Wont turn over.

I was hoping to drive it home 20 miles.

Next step?

Even if you get it started you have to be able to drive it safely on the road the 20 miles to get it home. Unless you have the means and sufficient time to check out/rebuild the brakes I would be towing it home

Also you need to know, that these trucks are 6  volt with a positive ground.

This means you connect the + side to the frame, and the - side goes to the starter  .... did you connect it this way?

You can connect a 12 volt battery same way to start it, just do not turn on lights ... wont hurt the battery .

• Like 1

Then you are probably looking at a dirty connection.

Remember, power is negative, ground is positive.

On my truck, the battery power cable goes to the transmission, the Ground cable goes to the starter solenoid, operated by the stomp pedal.

As long as you have a good battery and clean connections in these areas, The starter should work.

If the starter is not working, you have 4 connections to clean on the battery cables.

If it still does not turn over, then you need to pull the starter and most likely clean it up and replace anything wrong with it.

Just because it turns over at this point, you still need to get good wiring to the distributor and points, coil .... is the most basic system you can find.

I would myself, get it home on a trailer and then mess with it.

Parked 15 years ago .... probably more like 25 years ago.

They claim it was a daily driver before parked ... then why did they park it?

Brakes need work

clutch needs work

electrical needs work

Needs tires

Needs new patches on the sheet metal

Dont give up on it, these old trucks are awesome, and getting harder to find.

Just have fun putting it back together, not some life threatening ride getting it home  :P

6 minutes ago, Prusakowski said:

My ground cable needed cleaning on the frame.  Another alternative is to push / pull start the beast....

Pull it ... if you got room, the engine will turn over faster and start easier. ... still need the basics like spark, timing, compression.

And brakes are nice once it does start ... if you got brakes, maybe it is a 15 year vacation for it ... I kinda doubt with 15 years you have brakes though.

These flatheads are known to gum up in the valve stems after sitting ... pulling it will get the valve train moving faster ... still may not clear it, but true 15 years should not need it.

You actually should have 00 welding cables for battery cables.

6 volt just requires heavy cable, while in the years they introduced 12 volt cables, lots of cars/trucks got converted to the smaller cables .... they do not work worth a crap on a 6 volt system.

Just do it right, It will cost you for a roll back to come pick it up.

I made a deal on my truck, then was able to make a deal to have it delivered, I paid a xtra $100 because I knew they spent it in fuel.

Then you have the opportunity in your drive way to put it back together like it was meant to be.

This may seem really simple, but, it happened to me, I'm embarrassed to say, probably the first three or four times I tried to start my '51 truck; I'd stomp on the starter peddle, and it would slowly turn over, but not 'catch'. I'd then realize, holy moly, I'd forgotten to TURN THE KEY. Once I'd turn the key, then stomp on the starter peddle, all was well. I actually made this mistake probably three times, before I finally remembered to TURN THE KEY. Scheeeesh. ?