Temporary Start-up Gas Tank

Bingster

I tried searching for this but there seems to be a new search format it couldn't find any results. Maybe I entered the wrong search title. Anyway, I was looking for a make-shift "gas tank" to fire up my engine after seven years. Some say use an inverted red plastic gas can with a hose connected to the carb input.  I'm open to suggestions.

do you wish just to gravity feed the carb or are you looking for the electric fuel pump to feed the carb from an aux tank...?  either is simple to rig...depends on what you happen to have on hand to work with....lots of riding mowers can donate a gravity tank unit that will allow for lots of tweaking before running out of fuel..

• Like 1

I have been running the plastic gas tank on my truck, I have it secured to the front bumper, rubber fuel line coming from fuel pump to the gas can.

If you bypass the fuel pump and go straight to the carb, you need to have the tank higher then the carb so it can gravity feed. Probably start a siphon before connecting it.

Just be sure to be safe and secure the can. I use some baling wire, it works.

You do not want the can to fall and have the gas ignited by hot exhaust or spark plug wires.

31 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

I have been running the plastic gas tank on my truck, I have it secured to the front bumper, rubber fuel line coming from fuel pump to the gas can.

If you bypass the fuel pump and go straight to the carb, you need to have the tank higher then the carb so it can gravity feed. Probably start a siphon before connecting it.

Just be sure to be safe and secure the can. I use some baling wire, it works.

You do not want the can to fall and have the gas ignited by hot exhaust or spark plug wires.

Baling wire?! Didn't you know that's Ford parts?

• Haha 1

Old style outboard boat tanks are cheaply at garage sales around here.  One of those with the appropriate plumbing changes works well.  In my case, since I also do some work on garden tractors and start engines on the bench, I added a cheap electric fuel pump and wiring.

If the fuel pump does not operate...

Then gravity feed the carb.

Make sure the can is high enough above the carb....the hose needs to come out the bottom of the fuel container to flow freely through the needle and seat...

I've started many engines that way.1080548760_413EngineRunIn(1).JPG.a55cfb49dc551a07fcf5b75e2ce1636b.JPG

2 litre pop bottle...lol

Just go direct off fuel pump or gravity to or from a red plastic jerry can.

Heck I drove my old 47 Chrysler like that for 1 summer...lol

Edited by 55 Fargo

Actually Fargo your 2 liter pop bottle is a good idea just for starting and testing the engine. Just cut off the bottom and string a wiring for hanging, drill a hole in the cap then run a fuel hose from the cap to the carb and hang it from the hood. Just use about a cup or 2 of gas to limit the excess and use it to start and time the engine. It's the same thing as a gas I.V. bottle I've used in the shop to test for bad fuel pumps, setting carbs and timing engines.

Joe Lee

• Like 1

One thing not mentioned but shown in Dodgeb4ys' post above is the use of a fuel filter. A very good idea and I always use one myself. Prior to that I've had carbs that I just rebuilt get clogged from even a very little dirt that may be in the temporary tank. 

to all those that use open topped containers:  Please be very careful .  I had an Uncle get badly burned years ago when a carb backfire caused him to jump back,  hit such a container, splash gas into the air, and backfire flame.   Really bad results for him. 

That's why I rigged up the boat tank.