13th ANNUAL CLEMENTS TAILGATE BBQ, Clements , Ca

48Dodger

I've been avoiding this thread, but I've finally recovered my gnads enough to post here.

I'm just fighting the covid anxiety a bit. Haven't seen my grandkids in months.

Color me Mr. Cheerful huh . . .

I'm sorry to hear about the cancelation of BBQ 13, though I never have attended. 

I don't own a Dodge truck, and still Paul Flaming has been asking me for years to go to the BBQ.

But I would feel too strange showing up in my Mayan Death Calendar truck.

So this year I decided I'd find a turn key Dodge or Fargo and drive up from Clovis.

See, before the crash I'd made a bit of money in the market and I'd been shopping for months.

Then Pffft! So forget anything I said about Fargos . . .;(

Or probably turn-keys.

I had a couple nice prospects here in the valley, when the panic hit, and then that was that.

I know some of us geezers are gonna meet the Main Mechanic this year.

I'm 65 an I don't want to cough up a lung. I'll just smoke something at home en memorium.

20181223_114841.jpg.9446c431113563f2c6cd379d4de17661.jpg

56 minutes ago, pflaming said:

Ulu, I’ll sell you my truck! 

Forgive me, Paul, for you are a scholar and a gentleman, but I have seen your truck. I don't want to work that hard.

I had made about $30k in the market I wasn't expecting to have & I was looking at Hollywood showroom ads for rare ducks and polished gems.

Anyhow, just numbers on paper that mean nothing, since I didn't sell in time.

If this depresses the collector market enough, I may still buy something nice. Market crashes work both ways . . .

Edited by Ulu
  • Like 1

Can't quite cover the taxes and fees this month, but I still could afford this if I could get the price down just a notch!

sbed.jpg.a65db0bb03b58b9788cd790bd15c2eb4.jpg

But it's just a daydream today.  I'm not leaving the house for the duration.

• Like 1

Thanks 48Dodger for hosting the BBQ at your ranch for the past 12 years.

I've never been to the BBQ either but have, for the last 5 years I've been poking around on this forum, looked forward to the build-up to, photos and stories from the meet.

Jokingly, I looked at off-interstate routes [my wife spit out her coffee when she saw me looking at google maps from GA to Clements, CA] for the 2000+ trip in my B3C and [I half seriously] thought what an amazing road trip it would make, until I did the probability analysis of roadside failure. Never mind that my truck isn't "restored" and the prospect of a cross country trip without A/C, soft suspension or cup holders, leaky windshield and vacuum wipers in a 70 year old farm truck that barely makes 55 and gets around 10 MPG didn't seem feasible.

I will try and get out and take a mini gravel road trip and picnic on the weekend of the BBQ and hope for a return of it next year.

Everyone stay safe, better times are ahead,

-Roland

Chatt Hills, GA

• Thanks 1

The BBQ will be different this year…

...a mere gathering of a few locals, to acknowledge what normally is a simple gathering of so many. A place to say “hey” to vintage trucks, cars, and the old guys who love them. When the event is underway, a few forum names would come up....some asking questions like "wonder what he's like?" "wonder if he'll come out next year?" or "wouldn't it be great if that guy was here, I'd like to talk with him". 

But this year, it's a hope that everyone who has ever been here, everyone who’s hoped to be here, won’t forget, and try to be here next year. I feel a personal void, maybe its just me that hopes no one forgets. I really enjoy seeing everyone and plan to make the most of what I can, with what little there is. You guys are awesome.

Each year I give out an award to someone who symbolizes the fun of meeting a person known only from the internet, someone you’d hope would be at the BBQ. 

It's what created the "Wish You Were Here Award".

An award that reminds everyone on the forum, no matter where you're at, you're invited!!

Past winners:

2008  Don Coatney

2009  Merle Coggins

2010  Hank aka HanksB3B

2011  Ed aka Young ED

2012  Bud aka Budstruck

2013  Tim Adams aka Plymouthy Adams

2014  Mark aka ggdad1951 and  Davin aka Desotodav

2015  Joe Hanely aka 52b3 Joe

2016  Dave aka Dave72dt

2017  Rob aka Dodge4ya

2018  JB Neal

2019  Todd B

This year it's tough, because I wish everyone was here….but circumstances say otherwise. I truly do wish you were here! But the reason so many of us have become friends is because of the continued efforts of one person. Someone who has been working at this for quite some time. He’s the gentleman behind the curtain, the trucker who tunes the algorithm when it's out of rhythm. He’s a dude who loves the old iron just as much as the next guy. He’s the reason I have so many friends across the globe. I can’t thank you enough!  

•  2020  GTK Webmaster  •

Forum Admim/Webmaster Extraordinaire

Congratulations Sir!!! Look for your trophy in the mail my friend.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, today WOULD have been the day we headed to Lodi.... (can you tell I’m bitter? ?)

Instead we drove to a thimble of land we have in  central Oregon 

5FA817EB-485C-4D79-A56A-31C56A3F6113.jpeg.b48b519f19dd17e8e1eabd77f77e459e.jpeg

not the same and we miss our friends!. Hope all that can make it, have an awesome time

We will be thinking of you! B-n-J

Edited by Brent B3B
Photo removed
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Brent that's tumble weed in the background.............. where the heck are  you and Julie? Eastern  Ore?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Brent that's tumble weed in the background.............. where the heck are  you and Julie? Eastern  Ore?

Eastern/ central (ish) Christmas Valley  ?

I know a guy who bought a 4ton over here somewhere, looking for his brother.... lol

We’re headed back home tomorrow, gotta be home to work on a truck on the actual day of the bbq ?

Edited by Brent B3B
Photo removed
  • Like 1

You found a b4ya 4 tonner????? 

I want to know more about that.!!!

That's where Big Red came from...maybe a bit NE...East Pendleton.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

I should be laying awake in bed waiting for the sun to rise and helping prep the ranch....#%@(&$^#$#$#$&@_

I hear you brother........:(

48D

On 3/22/2020 at 1:12 PM, minicooper said:

I've never been to the BBQ either but have, for the last 5 years I've been poking around on this forum, looked forward to the build-up to, photos and stories from the meet.

Jokingly, I looked at off-interstate routes [my wife spit out her coffee when she saw me looking at google maps from GA to Clements, CA] for the 2000+ trip in my B3C and [I half seriously] thought what an amazing road trip it would make, until I did the probability analysis of roadside failure. Never mind that my truck isn't "restored" and the prospect of a cross country trip without A/C, soft suspension or cup holders, leaky windshield and vacuum wipers in a 70 year old farm truck that barely makes 55 and gets around 10 MPG didn't seem feasible.

I will try and get out and take a mini gravel road trip and picnic on the weekend of the BBQ and hope for a return of it next year.

-Roland

Chatt Hills, GA

Thank you for the kind words my friend.

We'll get you here next year somehow......maybe catch a ride with a forum member or two.

Never hurts to take a road trip once in awhile....:)

48D 

Good on you Brent and Julie for getting out in the great wide open......

I'll be heading up your way soon after the current environment, to check on your build or project for 2021!  ?

48D 

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2020 at 3:32 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

Remember, an event passed over last year it seems is really valid for this year,                     

International Work on your Truck Day     

give us a date Tim..!

I'll have to look, but I think Brent caught the event last year.....lol. BUT.........you asked for it.

The next IWOYTD  will be MAY 16th, 2020 !!

Thanks Tim Adams

Tim aka 48Dodger

• Thanks 1

Gives me another year to get it running properly. I'll miss seeing ya'll again and will make the best of the silver lining. Hope you all stay well.

• Like 1

As I lamented the canceled BBQ, I continued work on the Sportster. It’s getting very close to complete. It will be sold, but if not by 2014 BBQ, will tow it up. Stay safe everyone. In the meantime. 

2A53F9E1-044E-4564-92B4-62DEBA72AF6F.jpeg

6D3C0CCC-D68A-4588-93FC-8474D7DD0E17.jpeg

• Like 2

It's bbq day, and the world could not be more messed up.  Missing all I've gotten to know over the years.   Hoping you all are having a safe and healthy day!  So let's have a virtual show!

20191004_195620.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/22/2020 at 4:12 PM, minicooper said:

-Roland

Chatt Hills, GA

Mini,

You know what this means, right?  We have to establish an East Coast BBQ!  I’m in Jacksonville, something in Tennessee is definitely do-able and centrally located for all those in the East!  I think my truck could make it to TN...it may take a couple days or so...and once established, we could have a joint, East-West BBQ every 5 yrs or so, somewhere in a more central location...I’m already getting stoked for this!

• Like 3

Fifty bought some parts from me a few years ago.....so there's already some West Coast influence there! Lol.....

You guys put it together and I'll make it out there!

48D

• Like 1