Now I Can Finally Re-Tire

linus6948

9 minutes ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Do you change enough tires to make it worth while?

since when is a bucket list item a definite necessity....lol

all I have is my old manual Coats...but it allows me to do my own tire work....I have had this thing at least 35 years or thereabout...it his machine is fully functional, he has a nice tool....no substitute for nice tools...

• Like 2

Sometimes I buy expensive cool tools just because I like them.

I might not use them more than a few times. It works for me.

I have a real nice old Coats (MoPar) 1010 for all my old car tire work.

Coats Tire machine (3).JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, linus6948 said:

This has always been a "Bucket-List" item for me and the stars finally aligned and I got one, a very early rim clamp Coats.

Now when you locate a used spin balancer you can open that friendly tire shop or not. To many friends looking for free help.  ?

DJ

• Like 1

I was weened on the 20-20 and one was for sale for $100 on FB Marketplace but you need a rim-clamp for today's wheels, the 10-10 and 20-20 were for steel wheels. Just about everything can be done on a rim-clamp up to a 23 inch for this vintage model.  

3 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Do you change enough tires to make it worth while?

No definitely not, but I always wanted one, and if life isn`t funny enough as I was unloading the tire changer off the trailer the Wife was busy coming home from the Dentist and hitting a pothole right behind another "poor-soul" and they both destroyed their tires. So she will be my first customer when the her new $107 replacement tire arrives, I`m just lucky the rim is not ruined, the tire sidewall split open.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, linus6948 said:

So she will be my first customer when the her new $107 replacement tire arrives,

Just make sure she takes her old tire with her  :P

I use to have a coats 40-40, great machine and I loved having it around.

What I found, no matter how hard I tried, I still accumulated piles of junk tires.

I did work for a tire shop at the time, a couple of decades ago. It was easier for me to get rid of junk tires then the average Joe.

Just a reminder to stay vigilant on it, Is fine to help a buddy out, make them take their old junk home. It will pile up on you quick.

One of the smartest moves I ever made in my lifetime, I sold the 40-40 to my favorite uncle. Then when I needed to use a tire machine, I could always go to his house and use it.

I feel sorry for his kids, Uncle died a couple months ago, they have a few hundred tires to dispose of .... not so easy today.

• Like 2

I cleaned some of the protective "grime" off the old girl and gave it a "lick of paint"here and there, I am getting the correct lubricant container with bead swab for it and I printed up a copy of the original manual for it.

69373580_10213107154415991_6542672369469620224_n.jpg

Edited by linus6948
  • Like 1

Well the Wife`s new tire came along with the Bubble Balancer  and weights so I ran out of excuses and got busy on her wheel. I was a little nervous as I had never used a rim-clamp before and it was a low-profile tire and a nice rim. But I have to say being an old hand with a Coats 20-20 these rim-clamps are amazing. Easiest tire I have ever mounted in my life, ridiculous easy it was. I am also pleased with the $50 chinese bubble balancer, it gave me a perfect balance and I think I will stop looking for a balance machine. 

firsttire.jpg

balance.jpg

balanced.jpg

Well fate stepped in and I ran into a listing for an older Coats Balancer that generally run from $750 to 1k used on ebay and Craigs List being sold for $100 bucks. So I took another 2hr road trip and grabbed it yesterday morning. The wife is just thrilled about this latest acquisition but it helps keep me out of the "pool-rooms and local saloons".

balancer2.jpg

balancer.jpg

• Well I have been trying to broker a little time towards getting the balancer back to it`s useful function. These units were all made to be powered by 220 three phase voltage, but they also offered the options of 220 single phase and even 115 volts. Luckily there is a guy selling on ebay who replicates the static convertor needed to rewire and run the unit on 220 single phase power exactly to the original Coats specifications.
  • It came quickly and included pretty decent rewiring instructions for the forward and reverse motor contactors. My unit was also missing the original squirrel cage cooling fan completely so I had to do a little metal fabrication to come up with a substitute cooling fan. Apparently these cooling fans were a poor design and were pretty famous for going bad and most just seem to just run without them.
  •  

20190831_182004.jpg

Tire machine! Awesome-ness. If I had the space I’d surely buy one. That looks like a good one. 

I have a friend who owns an older tire machine. Largest rim he can work with is a 15”. So he does my vintage car tire swaps. Also any of my immediate family’s 15” or smaller tires. We pay him cash every time. No favours asked. He’s about 1/2 price compared to local businesses. He has no overhead costs. I love the cash savings! He also has a balancing machine.  Gotta love it. Cash. No worries about any litigation from me. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

I did some more research and found out this tire machine was supposed to be equipped with a water-seperator/oiler unit. It finally explained what the empty bracket at the back of the machine was for. Luckily I had been hoarding a brand new one for over 20yrs in my stash of "stuff" and I was finally able to utilize it. I also replaced the incorrect closed flow air chuck with an open flow straight chuck.

image.png.f756508549d0a8ab0576aa80d37ca654.png

image.png.e1d890ee9e580d41e87f5c85e696ccf6.png

image.png.382f07a26e70874ca435b5fb11690e16.png