Recommendations for Aftermarket AC for P15

kbuhagiar

Hello Folks,

I am considering installing AC in my 1947 Plymouth Special Deluxe Club Coupe, and I am looking for recommendations for an aftermarket AC kit.

Has anyone here successfully installed AC into a P15? If so, what vendor/kit did you use?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Vintage Aire has a kit for VW Bugs. It’s compressor is then powered by a 30 ho engine. The cubic inches in your car will be vert close to the Bug. Thus far, my research says it will do just fine, for my truck and mr 53 Plymouth coupe. 

Check it out. 

• Thanks 1

more to AC than physical size...you must be able to meet the BTU requirement of the compartment and window loss...you don't cool a 2500 sq foot home with a 7500 BTU window unit....basically you going to need about 14000 BTU 

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, pflaming said:

Vintage Aire has a kit for VW Bugs. It’s compressor is then powered by a 30 ho engine. The cubic inches in your car will be vert close to the Bug. Thus far, my research says it will do just fine, for my truck and mr 53 Plymouth coupe. 

Check it out. 

Thanks pflaming,

I have a VA unit in my 56 Chevy, and many of my gearhead buddies are using VA in their rides.

FWIW the engine in my car is a V8, not stock.

Edited by kbuhagiar

10 hours ago, Oldguy48 said:

I installed an "Old Air Hurricane" unit in my P15.  Works well and I'm pleased with it.  But it is a 12 volt unit....don't know if they offer a 6 volt version.

Thanks Oldguy,

My car has been updated to 12V, so that's not a problem. Do they have a specific kit designed for a P15, or just a generic model?

Any particular difficulties about the installation?

Thanks again!

Edited by kbuhagiar

The Hurricane model is not specific to the P15.  But the heater/AC unit is about the same size as the original heater that was in my P15..  The installation was fairly easy.  Suggest you check out the "Old Air" website.  If I recall, they showed dimensions of the units to help you plan your installation.and you can even call their tech support with any questions.  

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Now you have done it. You mentioned the "C" word regarding your engine. Half the forum will bite your head off and other half will just not speak to you. But I will go out on a limb for your behalf. I put a Vintage air in my 39 Chevy sedan,(very little room under dash) managed to keep cowl vent operational by motorizing cowl unit. I  power the "Sanden " a/c compressor with a stock 305 cu in "C" word engine, works great. I used the Gen 4 unit that has non computerized controls (doesn't lose function } if battery is disconnected. Only issue I had was insulation for doors and roof . The old cars seem to lose a lot through the metal and get solar gain to inside ambient temp. At time of install Vintage air didn't offer a fresh air mode but mine does have combos of floor, vent, and defrost modes. Only other issue is cost, bought mine through local rod shop, Vintage air wouldn't sell direct to me. I have heard that Summit will sell to you but not sure on cost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/12/2019 at 10:14 PM, kbuhagiar said:

Hello Folks,

I am considering installing AC in my 1947 Plymouth Special Deluxe Club Coupe, and I am looking for recommendations for an aftermarket AC kit.

Has anyone here successfully installed AC into a P15? If so, what vendor/kit did you use?

Thanks in advance.

Hello kbuhagiar,

I installed a Vintage Air in my P15 and it does a terrific job so far. I have a 354 Chrysler with a torqueflite. I could shoot you some photos if you want me to. I fabricated my compressor bracket and also some of the brackets for the evaporator/heater. I don't have the interior finished yet so I don't really know how well it will really cool, but I'm sure it will help.

3 hours ago, rvannoy1 said:

Hello kbuhagiar,

I installed a Vintage Air in my P15 and it does a terrific job so far. I have a 354 Chrysler with a torqueflite. I could shoot you some photos if you want me to. I fabricated my compressor bracket and also some of the brackets for the evaporator/heater. I don't have the interior finished yet so I don't really know how well it will really cool, but I'm sure it will help.

Please post pictures, there are many ways to do the same thing. Even though I’m not the person that asked the original question I am also adding ac to a car that never came with it and more information is always better. Plus I like looking at pictures.

3 hours ago, rvannoy1 said:

Hello kbuhagiar,

Rvannoy,

Thanks for the info. Photos would be great, I'm sure others on here may also be interested. I'm not as concerned with the engine compartment bits as i am with the evaporator fit and installation. Which Vintage Air unit did you use, and how much fabrication did it require?

Thanks.

Edited by kbuhagiar

Guys,

I'm trying to upload some photos. However, I'm having no luck. It keeps telling me "upload failed". I'll keep trying.

Ron

Here are (2) photos so far. There are (6) more to follow.

Ron

IMG_3307.JPG

IMG_3302.JPG

13 hours ago, rvannoy1 said:

Guys,

I'm trying to upload some photos. However, I'm having no luck. It keeps telling me "upload failed". I'll keep trying.

Ron

I’ve had the same problem, it helps to email or text them to yourself to resize the photos then upload.

Here are two more folks. I did email them to myself, as suggested, but I still can upload 2.4 mb. More to follow, lol.

Ron

IMG_3308.jpg

IMG_3309.jpg