steering shaft to rack

garyanna2

I was about to hook up my ididit column to the omni rack when a friend asked what takes up the up and down movement from the axel to the column?

I did not see if the d shaft was a slip type or not, is there a problem . I believe that most people must mount the d shaft and the two ujoint's as a straight shot. I have no answer and did not find any info in past posts. I did not buy everything yet just getting ready to go to Napa.

hopefully your car and chassis is not moving that independent of each other....as in the past, on this era....straight joint..only flex was the sector to frame rubber isolator for dealing with road harshness....only a flex couple (rag joint) was used later on and you hade the steering shaft lance of death to contend with..modern cars still have a dampening feature built into the slip joint that will allow a frame to crumple quite a bit before moving the steering shaft into your heart..

So on the d shaft there is a slip joint used? That is what iam asking. Iam aware of the old shafts like the one on the 52 b3b. But some on the site seem to have used just two ujoints.  There is no shock to the column from the driver wheel springing up after a sharp impact? Something has to slip or break or slip or maybe some fairy dust is used. I thought it was a reasonable question and was hoping for a little more help thanks. 

I got a new collapsible shaft from Summit or alike in the DD format, that is an absolute must, but you will have to cut it, so you need to know both full extension and full collapse when you set everything up.  And full extension needs to be springs hanging for awhile with no upward pressure, if your truck sees a hoist like mine does, you dont want that u joint holding the weight of the axle up because it's too short for full travel.  I actually put limiters in for the max ability to collapse so I wasn't chancing any touching of the rack and oil pan or alike, but my front springs are a bit worn out.   

I think the confusion is where your rack is mointed- if it’s on the axle you for sure need a long slip joint that is greased and strong- you’re depending on that flat to steer and there’s no weld or cotter pins. 

If it’s a power rack you will probably be ok but manual and parallel parking (steering while stopped) will stress it. 

Good luck!

radar

18 hours ago, garyanna2 said:

Thanks that is what i needed i have a ididit column now to get the shaft with ujoints and check the travel. 

Something like one of these?

Be sure to check travel length. How about when truck is jacked up by the frame??

https://www.summitracing.com/search/Product-Line/Borgeson-Universal-Telescoping-Steering-Shafts/

DJ

Thanks for the help i have never been this deep into a build. I always appreciate advise from others. Just waiting for parts from summit, They think i can make it work with one ujoint and a 26" slip shaft. If not i will get a dd joint also.