License plates

pflaming

California DMV appointment update.

i informed the desk person that I was seeking advice to title and license a 1953 Plymouth parts car for which I have no paperwork and no vin number. Her reply:  how long have I owned it, where has it been stored, what did I pay for it. Answer these questions in the history portion of the form. Call this number at the highway patrol to get an appointment and to get a vin number reassigned and return with said information when accomplished.

you will be required to present the car for their exam and gave me a one day driving permit if I could and wanted to drive it there.

To be continued. For me it alway works to ask them for their help and advice. 

I recently went through the same process with the CA DMV. My car had a set of 60’s black plates, not the YOM yellow plates. It had been in a farmer’s field for more than 40 years. The farmer died  many years ago and the family couldn’t find the title document. The black plates were in bad shape like yours and not acceptable to DMV. (I managed to get a restored set of plates through DMV for another car, but those matched YOM).  I didn’t care about keeping the black plates because they weren’t YOM (still looking for a set of ‘49s). Anyway, titling the “field find” was easy: got the VIN verified by the authorities and submitted the correct documents. The DMV employees told me what to do on the first visit and then gave me a new title and new plates on the second visit. In the end, all the risk of having an illegitimate title is on me and I also sensed that from the DMV employees.  

8 hours ago, pflaming said:

California DMV appointment update.

i informed the desk person that I was seeking advice to title and license a 1953 Plymouth parts car for which I have no paperwork and no vin number. Her reply:  how long have I owned it, where has it been stored, what did I pay for it. Answer these questions in the history portion of the form. Call this number at the highway patrol to get an appointment and to get a vin number reassigned and return with said information when accomplished.

you will be required to present the car for their exam and gave me a one day driving permit if I could and wanted to drive it there.

To be continued. For me it alway works to ask them for their help and advice. 

There is no serial number plate attached to the A pillar? Is the serial # stamped into the frame? 

50 minutes ago, pflaming said:

There are only three legible letters on the frame. A pillar tag gone in the fire. Fires are indiscriminate.

Ah I didn't realize you were resurrecting another burnt car. Was this car with your truck in the shop? Or did you get a car burnt by someone else?

No this car did not burn, only the papers. 

PS. Age 80 has really done a number on me. So just finishing what I have and attend the spring BBQ for as long as I can.

For those of you that have the vintage 40s or 50s California plates , could you take some measurements for me? 

I need length and width. Screw hole to drew hole, and screw hole to  corner.

Im trying to find a plate frame for my Vintage 51 New York plates and I only find ones for California.

Thanks Mike

4 hours ago, 51cambridge said:

For those of you that have the vintage 40s or 50s California plates , could you take some measurements for me? 

I need length and width. Screw hole to drew hole, and screw hole to  corner.

Im trying to find a plate frame for my Vintage 51 New York plates and I only find ones for California.

Thanks Mike

If your car still has its original rear license plate bracket they are adjustable to accommodate many different sizes.  License plate sizes weren't standardized until 1958 or thereabouts.

1 minute ago, JerseyHarold said:

If your car still has its original rear license plate bracket they are adjustable to accommodate many different sizes.  License plate sizes weren't standardized until 1958 or thereabouts.

Got them , I’m talking about Chrome frames.

thanks