6 V Starter on 12 V Diet

Hey all, had to pull my 12 volt starter for servicing, but installed a spare 6 volt starter temporarily.

It spins nice and fast, and no meshing issues.

How many of you have a run a 6 volt starter on 12 volt diet?

Hopefully wont run it too long like this, but its not bad at all.

1 hour ago, Reg Evans said:

I've been running Old Yellers 6 volt starter on 12 volts for a little over 20 years now without any issues.

Nothing like Autolite technology and quality Reg. I kinda like a 6v starter on 12, it spins faster than a 12 volt starter....

• Like 1

12 volts to 6 volt starter on my 38 sedan and 51 truck for many years no issues. Also 12 volts to my 6 volt 46 Oldsmobile, so far so good.

Oh I forgot I have a funny story about my 6v starter on 12v- one day it just stopped working at all. I didn’t know if it could be rebuilt or where to get a new one and I was getting tired from trying to pop start the truck unsuccessfully- push, jump in, 2nd gear, sidestep the clutch, no luck. 

I ended up hosing down the starter through the button stalk hole and anywhere I could get into the case from the outside with wd40- which is mostly solvent and a little oil. After that it worked like a charm for another five or seven years until I swapped out the flatty. I suspect the contacts were dirty but who knows maybe the brushes or armature or whatever were gummed up. 

Funny story and maybe it the retelling could help somebody out!

I'm yet another with a 6 volt starter on a 12 volt system about five years no issues.  I never over-crank, and I have a rebuilt spare handy just in case.