Greetings/intro

PIECRUST&RUST

Just set up my account and thought I should do a brief intro. I've got an all original 1950 Dodge Coronet, 3 speed with fluid drive, and still running on 6 volts. I bought the car when I was 15 and drove it to high school everyday. 24 years old now and hopefully will be able to start restoring it withing the next year. Only thing that is intimating me with the restoration is tackling the fluid drive unit. It leaks bad and trying to find a place to replace the seals is proving tricky. Hoping to find some advice on hear regarding that.

FB_IMG_1462417270400.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome! I don’t have any experience with fluid drive, but I’ve restored a 1940 Dodge and it looks like yours would be a solid start for a restore. My fellow Forum members will have loads of information for you to follow. They are the best!

Welcome and you have a good looking car. If you don't have one get a service manual. Amazon sells them. Next is most parts stores can get the basic stuff. Get the battery from a tractor supply store. They have a good turn over and you won't get one that sat on the shelf for months or years. Next is hard to find parts. Everyone has pretty good luck with Andy Berbaums https://www.oldmoparts.com/.  That should get you started in the right direction.

Joe Lee

Welcome to the Forum!  You'll find a treatise on the fluid drive in the tech tips, under the Technical tab at the top of the page/bottom of the header.  Browse the links for sources, most of which will require a phone call to ascertain if they have a seal kit for the fluid drive.  But, it does require a couple special tools according to the shop manual.  The fluid drive in our D24 leaked, not bad, but annoying, for some time.  I drained and refilled it with Type F ATF about 12 years ago, and haven't had a problem with it since.  I don't know what magic happened, but it did.   

Hi and Welcome . I've also got a 50 Coronet with Fluid Drive.  In addition to Andy Bernbaum, try Roberts Motor Parts, 978-363-5407, www.robertsmotorparts.com

For Roberts, and likely for Bernbaum, what's on their website isn't everything they have.  Always good to call or email. They'll make sure that you're ordering the right part.

I haven't had any trouble with my trans . .  .  yet.  Good luck.  Love that sun visor on yours.  I'm visor-free, but not by choice.  I like your red wheels, too.  In fact, I signed on today to find a source for that classic Dodge red paint.  I need to repaint my hubcaps and also want to go from black to red on my wheels.

Again, welcome!

YES

Roberts Motor Parts is great site, Gary is a great guy to do business with and the company is VERY helpful. I got a 1950 Dodge Meadowbrook i also bought when i currently drive to school, but you probably remember that story. Can't wait to start seeing some progress and some footsteps I can follow when I get the chance to restore my own.

Noah