Back in the old days before disc brake conversions...

I've got a couple of 54 DeSoto parts cars. In the old days did folks upgrade the brake systems from the 40 Dodges and Plymouths to the bigger Chrysler and DeSoto systems to get more braking power?

I'm considering the 'recycle, reuse' alternative of installing the DeSoto brakers on a 1940 Plymouth to the cost of a disc conversion.  Thoughts???

THanks,

Ed

Desoto's up through 1952 or 1953/54 had 12" drums with the small Dodge Plymouth bolt pattern.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

Before the advent of factory cars designed for heavy duty service (police, taxi, etc.), one of the brake upgrades would be to install larger wheel cylinders, usually from that maker's higher-end models.  Some agencies would do it themselves if they had the funds, and some of the better funded state highway patrols would special order a shipment of ordinary cars with the next model up's larger wheel cylinders, along with special paint.  Factory built special service cars didn't come about until the late '50's, and lo and behold, one of the features was larger brake cylinders rather than larger drums.  In both cases, 1/16" to 1/8" bigger, depending on maker, made a notable difference. 

Back in the 60s I had a 58 Ford stepside with a 292 and 3spd.  Dad got a 56 Chrysler in the salvage with a good motor and trans.  Somehow that made its' way into my pickup, complete with dash mounted push button trans controls.  Ran and drove great!  With one exception, the normal nose heavy pickup handling got worse and the braking was even worse.  Rear would lock up very quickly.

back to the Chrysler for backing plates complete with all brake parts and drums with bearings.  Outer bearing was the same as the 1/2 Ford.  Inner was a little smaller.  So my spindle were chucked and turned to the right OD.  Drilled holes, mounted backing plates, found a brake hose that worked, bolted it all together and found that those big 12" brakes on the front solved my early rear lockup issue!

This was in the very early days of factory disks and I never found the need to improve on the big drums.

edit to add:  Same Chrysler donated its' third member to my '65 Dodge Dart coupe with HP273/4spd.  Replaced the 3.23 with the 3.55.  Just had to swap axle gears to match the splines on the dart axles.

Edited by kencombs

14 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

Aren't the spindles larger in every aspect ? I know that rusty hope says his plymouth dodge and desoto/chrysler kits different.

No... only the large 12"  drum Chrysler Eight cylinder cars and some Dodge DeSoto wagons and 8 passenger cars   with the larger hub and bolt pattern use that larger spindle and heavier suspension components.

Most of these parts suppliers don't know much about which cars use this larger spindle and heavier 12" drum versus the lighter duty 12" drum found on the DeSoto's.

You do have to be careful and check all dimensions carefully if doing a  swap of drums and backing plates...

• Thanks 1

My Desoto Suburban has those big ass drums. I took the front off and went to disc's so it stops with less wander at freeway speeds. If I were to do the swap, I would look to see if the knuckle arm height was the same to that one could swap the spindle. BUT. One must be careful with a spindle swap as the kingpin inclination is set by the casting of the spindle and the geometry of the steering knuckle and the control arms. I am not sure if the smaller and large spindles have the same KPI.

James.

• Like 1

My Chrysler cars all have the big drums/hubs and stop wonderfully.

• Like 1