O.D. Parts

Greenbomb

can anyone tell me where I can procure some O.D. Parts. Putting O.D. In ‘50 Plymouth coupe and need a kick down sw. w/mounting bracket and operating linkage. Also need an O.D. Relay and might as well replace the horn relay. I checked Roberts to no avail. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Unless you want the originality, IMO OD works best without the kickdown sw.  Use a manual toggle instead.  that lets you downshift in advance of need, like climbing a hill, or passing when full throttle may not be needed and allows 'splitting' gears and up/down shift in traffic.  That's really handy in some circumstances.

• Like 1

I have a push pull switch attached to the clamp the holds my signal light switch.  Power comes from the accessory terminal of the ignition switch.  This poweres the switched side of the overdrive relay.  It makes the connection that closes the relay to allow for battery power to engage the solenoid.  That allows the governor to complete the ground to engage the od when cut in speed is achieved and the gas pedal is momentarily released.. With the control cable pushed in the circuit is complete. Switch off kills power through the relay shutting down the od regardless of ground speed.  You need to remember though that the OD is still in freewheeling mode so no compression braking under 30 mph.  You would then need to switch manually to re engage the od.  I only use the od on open road and interstates so I have really had no need for the throttle controlled kick down.  My governor isn't set correctly so my cut in speed is between 40 and 45 so it is only usable in third gear.  I know some cut in before that making second gear use available as well.  I haven't found the reason or need to use second gear od.  Some say it is handy in city driving to avoid lots of second to third shifts but I don't do any city driving if I can help it.

I like to add a colored light that lights up when the switch is in the "on" position as a reminder. I need it!

Pick your color-red, green, or yellow.

Mount in easy view when driving. Next to switch, under dash, in dash, your choice.

Enjoy your OD.

Never heard anyone that did not love it!

DJ

2 hours ago, greg g said:

I have a push pull switch attached to the clamp the holds my signal light switch.  Power comes from the accessory terminal of the ignition switch.  This poweres the switched side of the overdrive relay.  It makes the connection that closes the relay to allow for battery power to engage the solenoid.  That allows the governor to complete the ground to engage the od when cut in speed is achieved and the gas pedal is momentarily released.. With the control cable pushed in the circuit is complete. Switch off kills power through the relay shutting down the od regardless of ground speed.  You need to remember though that the OD is still in freewheeling mode so no compression braking under 30 mph.  You would then need to switch manually to re engage the od.  I only use the od on open road and interstates so I have really had no need for the throttle controlled kick down.  My governor isn't set correctly so my cut in speed is between 40 and 45 so it is only usable in third gear.  I know some cut in before that making second gear use available as well.  I haven't found the reason or need to use second gear od.  Some say it is handy in city driving to avoid lots of second to third shifts but I don't do any city driving if I can help it.

the red statement above is one of the real benefits of using OD in traffic.  Your unsynchorized 1st gear behaves almost like a full synchrorized version.  Light changes just before you stop, just downshift to low anyway!